Thread: Epson Ecotank print quality on photo paper?

Real Name
    Odd Skjæveland

Epson Ecotank print quality on photo paper?

The Ecotank will likely not rival my SC-P800, and I understand gradations may appear a bit rough. I consider setting up one for the upcoming holidays for family/friends to print from their smart phones. I guess they will need to install an Epson app, and it could be quite entertaining if the print quality is acceptable. Experience anyone?
    --
    Odd S.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Epson Ecotank print quality on photo paper?

Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    The Ecotank will likely not rival my SC-P800, and I understand gradations may appear a bit rough. I consider setting up one for the upcoming holidays for family/friends to print from their smart phones. I guess they will need to install an Epson app, and it could be quite entertaining if the print quality is acceptable. Experience anyone?
    --
    Odd S.
    Hi Odd

I have an Epson ET-2650 Eco tank printer. I bought it for general printing rather than photos as I don't usually print photos. So I haven't used it much for photos but I did a test print on A4 glossy paper, print quality high (300dpi I think). It took about 5 mins to print one sheet. The quality looks reasonable to me without any banding. (I have noticed banding on lower quality printing). The colors were a bit dull but that may just be a matter of settings. I am reluctant to recommend a printer like this one way or the other. I believe this series of printer is not designed for high quality printing. It all depends on what you are looking for. It may well do the job for you.

There is an app for smart phones. If the photos are taken with smart phones the print quality will probably be quite acceptable for you.

Sorry I can't be more specific in my advice.

Dave

Real Name
    Odd Skjæveland

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    If the photos are taken with smart phones the print quality will probably be quite acceptable for you.

Thank you for commenting, Dave. The intended use is with 10x15cm (4x6") photo paper and wireless printing from smartphones. Hopefully not much more than one minute a print.

--
    Odd S.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Odd

I tried printing a couple of photos on 10x15cm glossy paper from my iphone (using the Epson app). Best quality took about 2 mins, standard quality about 1min. There wasn't a lot of difference between the two at this size, both quite reasonable quality. The best quality print had slightly better colour.

Dave

Real Name
    John

The concept is nice but system only has one black (photo), older desktop models included a matte black and some (especially those with six cartridges) had a photo grey or light grey inkset. For most print jobs it probably won't matter but for subtle tonal gradations you'll be limited with output in my opinion.

Real Name
    Odd Skjæveland

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    I tried printing a couple of photos on 10x15cm glossy paper from my iphone (using the Epson app). Best quality took about 2 mins, standard quality about 1min.
    Dave, how nice of you to try this for me. Thank you!

There are options for my intended use, I have seen ok prints from the portable Canon Selphy. It is cheaper, but the Canon ink+paper is 4-5x Ecotank ink+paper. I hope to have a setup where the quality is acceptable and nobody cares about the cost of printing "rubbish" images.

--
    Odd S.

Real Name
    Odd Skjæveland

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    ...for subtle tonal gradations you'll be limited with output in my opinion.
    Hi John
    The degree of gradation (!) may still be acceptable for my use. I know that is a highly subjective requirement, I will only know for sure if I buy an Ecotank printer.

--
    Odd S.