Thread: Last of the hatch

Real Name
    Grahame

Last of the hatch

The final one of my home bred mosquitoes hatched yesterday and I just managed to hurriedly set up the gear and get a couple of shots with a more appropriate background colour

Unfortunately the flashes were not quite in the right position and his enthusiasm to get away beat me.

Last of the hatch

Fortunately, I now have some more eggs that I can start off and will start thinking about the possibility of focus stacking over the next week

Real Name
    John

Re: Last of the hatch

Nice shot.

Real Name
    Sandy

Hi Grahame - It has definitely been interesting watching the development of the mosquito as well as your various photos of them. Unique really! Do they sit still long enough to focus stack?

Real Name
    Greg

The yellow works better than the pink. I wonder if they have a preference, if certain colours attract them?

I commend you for breeding them and contributing to the eradication of those horrible diseases. I don't think I could do it, I doubt I could resist the impulse to reach for the Mortein when I saw them hatching. Do they bite the hand that feeds them once they are airborne?

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice shot.
    Thank you John

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by skitterbug View Post
    Hi Grahame - It has definitely been interesting watching the development of the mosquito as well as your various photos of them. Unique really!
    I'm pleased you have found it interesting Sandy, I've certainly found it educational learning about the mosquito and importantly having fun with the camera at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by skitterbug View Post
    Do they sit still long enough to focus stack?
    Once they have fully emerged onto the water surface their body seems to be very static for a few minutes whilst drying off before starting to walk. The problem being that they drift very slowly with the slightest breeze present making manual focusing a real challenge.

My thoughts are that if I can put one on a static surface where it's not floating there may be enough time to get a stack. Ideas so far are a sheet of paper on the water surface so I need to look at what sort of background this will give.

Other considerations are going to be getting the tethered shooting preset for the subject size and flash fast repeat.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    The yellow works better than the pink. I wonder if they have a preference, if certain colours attract them?

I commend you for breeding them and contributing to the eradication of those horrible diseases. I don't think I could do it, I doubt I could resist the impulse to reach for the Mortein when I saw them hatching.
    Thank you Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    Do they bite the hand that feeds them once they are airborne?
    I'm pretty immune to affects from their bites and the other half has not kicked me out of the house yet.

Real Name
    Rudi

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    ... a couple of shots with a more appropriate background colour...
    + 1 !! Very nice indeed. Looking forward to your stacked versions….

Real Name
    Brian

It's late and I'm tired but... is there some way to have a surface just below water level and once they hatch to lift or elevate the surface so they can't drift? Picture a reverse French coffee maker

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    + 1 !! Very nice indeed. Looking forward to your stacked versions….
    Thanks Rudi. The stack planning is progressing slower than I had hoped.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    It's late and I'm tired but... is there some way to have a surface just below water level and once they hatch to lift or elevate the surface so they can't drift? Picture a reverse French coffee maker
    This may well be possible Brian and I'm going to experiment with a sheet of paper. I have considered using a leaf of some sort but the water will remain on it unless I can find a porous one

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I see many of these (not the same species I suspect) but not to this detail Very fascinating.

Real Name
    Brian

I don'y know about a leaf but how about a drip coffee machine filter or some empty tea bags?

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    I see many of these (not the same species I suspect) but not to this detail Very fascinating.
    I was always quiet pleased with myself if I managed to splat a mosquito Trevor but now I have been involved with breeding this species and have had the opportunity to photograph them I'll be nice to them.

Now if only I could train my dog to not attempt to eat them

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    I don'y know about a leaf but how about a drip coffee machine filter or some empty tea bags?
    I'm going to have a go tonight with the paper and see if it's feasible. The biggest problem is that anything unnatural is going to look strange where it's in focus.