Thread: Tell Lightroom to use Graphics card

Tell Lightroom to use Graphics card

I just discovered for the first time yesterday that I had to actually tell Lightroom (6, in my case) to use the graphics card on my desktop computer. What a surprise! I found out that my graphics card is compatible and then ticked the box to tell the program to use it. Looking forward to increased performance. Have been using Lightroom for years, not knowing!

Real Name
    Yes

Re: Tell Lightroom to use Graphics card

It's an option because with a laptop the separate graphics card will use more power, and so battery life is reduced.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by loosecanon View Post
    It's an option because with a laptop the separate graphics card will use more power, and so battery life is reduced.
    Lightroom (and other Adobe software) uses graphics acceleration for some very specific functionality. Most discrete graphics cards have the resources to run this software, but that was not the case even a few years ago where only a very specific set of graphics cards could be used. Some of the integrated graphics chips on the computer motherboards may not have the resources to run this functionality.

While this link is for current (Lightroom CC Classic) software, it does list some of the functionality that can take advantage of graphics acceleration; the list is not all that long. Lightroom 6 is the first version where graphics acceleration was supported.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb...m-gpu-faq.html

The power draw mentioned in #2 may be valid, but I not noticed any reduction in battery life when using this functionality (I always have it on). Your graphics card is on all the time, as it is what displays information to you see on the screen. The functions that use this feature are not run for particularly long periods. I have a laptop that has two graphics chips and I have never quite figured out which one is in use.

Real Name
    Dave

In addition, for Lightroom 6, graphics acceleration can reduce performance. Reportedly, those with 4K acre the ones who benefit most. Enabling the graphics processor can sometimes cause seemingly unrelated glitches, so it really is try it and see.

Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    In addition, for Lightroom 6, graphics acceleration can reduce performance. Reportedly, those with 4K acre the ones who benefit most. Enabling the graphics processor can sometimes cause seemingly unrelated glitches, so it really is try it and see.

Dave
    I had some issues when I upgraded my screen last year and ended up having to replace my graphics card. Now everything works well.

Current LR requirements specs are here and I suspect that meeting Lightroom CC specs would mean that Lightroom 6 would function well too...

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/sy...uirements.html

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks, Manfred. I track this fairly closely through lightroomforums, so I was reporting what others have found. Lightroom performance seems like a black art, well specified machines sometimes run badly. I hope it works well for the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I had some issues when I upgraded my screen last year and ended up having to replace my graphics card. Now everything works well.

Current LR requirements specs are here and I suspect that meeting Lightroom CC specs would mean that Lightroom 6 would function well too...

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/sy...uirements.html

I have disabled it already. Shortly after I enabled it I got flashing black and white when I was carrying out some functions.

Real Name
    Martin

I too have had issues enabling the graphics card option... freezing/crashing... turn off the graphics card option and it runs fine..

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by CP140 View Post
    I too have had issues enabling the graphics card option... freezing/crashing... turn off the graphics card option and it runs fine..
    On the other hand, I use GPU acceleration with Photoshop and Lightroom all the time and have not had any stability issues. I do use a Workstation graphics card, rather than a gaming card, so this might be part of the reason this functionality works well for me. The card has 8 GB of RAM.

Real Name
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    On the other hand, I use GPU acceleration with Photoshop and Lightroom all the time and have not had any stability issues. I do use a Workstation graphics card, rather than a gaming card, so this might be part of the reason this functionality works well for me. The card has 8 GB of RAM.
    Yeah... it's almost certainly related to particular cards/configurations... but figuring that out is above my pay grade!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by CP140 View Post
    Yeah... it's almost certainly related to particular cards/configurations... but figuring that out is above my pay grade!
    Check the requirements for the software, as mentioned in #3.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb...m-gpu-faq.html

if the card meets or exceeds those specs, the graphics functionality should work.