Thread: Times Square

Real Name
    Oscar

Times Square

Sadly an overcast day. Used my fisheye for some additional interest.

Times Square269A2258 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

Times Square269A2262 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

Times Square269A2268 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

Times Square269A2272-2 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

Times Square269A2286 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

Real Name
    John

Re: Times Square

Nice captures.

Real Name
    Paul David

NYC is a great place, especially this time of year.

Real Name
    Daniel

Is there an artistic reason why the buildings were left warped?

Real Name
    Oscar

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Danimal View Post
    Is there an artistic reason why the buildings were left warped?
    Artistic? Well they were shot with a fisheye, and I happen to like the effect.

Real Name
    Dan

I like the last best. Just personal preference, but I don't care for the fisheye perspective. The first looks a bit unbalanced. The blue sky nicely offsets the artificial lights in the last one.

Real Name
    Oscar

I understand how a fisheye is not for everyone but I like the effect.Also I was able to take an image of the biggest titanosaur with it where I could fit him mostly in one frame:

Times Square269A2177 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

A quality fisheye like the Canon L series used here can also be a super wide lens when software is used to "defish" the lens correcting the distortion.

As for "artistic" purposes it also adds some value to any photographers tool box. I personally like what it did here at the hotel I was staying in Washington last year:

Times Square269A6956-2 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by chaman View Post
    Artistic? Well they were shot with a fisheye, and I happen to like the effect.
    Ahh, you used a fisheye. I must have missed that in the original post.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I think the last time I did a lot of serious work with my fisheye lens was on a trip to New York City as well.

I never bothered buying another fisheye when I went full-frame, and while I occasionally think about bringing it out again, I haven't done so to date. I must rethink this, looking at your shots...

Quote Originally Posted by chaman View Post
    Sadly an overcast day. Used my fisheye for some additional interest.
    Overall, all good shots that clearly define what Times Square is. That said, I avoid that area like the plague; as if the hordes of tourists, stopping dead in their tracks isn't bad enough, the wildlife that are the hucksters (Elmo, Spiderman, et al) is just unbearable. It makes going up town to see a Broadway show an annoying chore. On the other hand (and before my time in the City) TS at least has become a safe, touristy commercial place, thanks to disney et al that breathed life into the area.

Since I'm on a bit of a tirade, for those folks who do get to NYC and Times Square, please keep in mind that there are amazing places to eat only a few blocks away in any direction. Trust me, olive garden and bubba gump (and their ilk) are a waste of money as they are strictly for tourist who likely won't be back soon (if again) so service, quality and ambiance are generally not serious considerations by management. Try the High Line, wander the Village (East and West), the Hudson Greenway and innumerable other New Yorky places of interest.

I like #3 but wished you had included more street level, same with #1. For me #4 is your best shot because it gives the best feel for TS.

Real Name
    Oscar

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I think the last time I did a lot of serious work with my fisheye lens was on a trip to New York City as well.

I never bothered buying another fisheye when I went full-frame, and while I occasionally think about bringing it out again, I haven't done so to date. I must rethink this, looking at your shots...
    Im a big fan of the fisheye but it must be used with caution, not too much, not too little. On my last 2 vacations Ive found a couple instances to put it to work.

Real Name
    Oscar

Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    Overall, all good shots that clearly define what Times Square is. That said, I avoid that area like the plague; as if the hordes of tourists, stopping dead in their tracks isn't bad enough, the wildlife that are the hucksters (Elmo, Spiderman, et al) is just unbearable. It makes going up town to see a Broadway show an annoying chore. On the other hand (and before my time in the City) TS at least has become a safe, touristy commercial place, thanks to disney et al that breathed life into the area.

Since I'm on a bit of a tirade, for those folks who do get to NYC and Times Square, please keep in mind that there are amazing places to eat only a few blocks away in any direction. Trust me, olive garden and bubba gump (and their ilk) are a waste of money as they are strictly for tourist who likely won't be back soon (if again) so service, quality and ambiance are generally not serious considerations by management. Try the High Line, wander the Village (East and West), the Hudson Greenway and innumerable other New Yorky places of interest.

I like #3 but wished you had included more street level, same with #1. For me #4 is your best shot because it gives the best feel for TS.
    Agreed. Its an interesting place but I found Bryant Park to be much more pleasing and not too far from Times Square. One thing for sure i would never stay at a hotel in Times Square!