John

Sunday Morning Run

Sunday Morning RunSunday Morning Run by JOHN, on Flickr

Real Name
    Sharon

Re: Sunday Morning Run

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Sunday Morning RunSunday Morning Run by JOHN, on Flickr
    Love it! But I’m perplexed by the title.

Real Name
    Brian

I like the shot but, the building left front seems to be tilted to the left while the Biomedical school building seems tilted to the right?

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by lovelife65 View Post
    Love it! But I’m perplexed by the title.
    I was actually out for a coffee run. Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    I like the shot but, the building left front seems to be tilted to the left while the Biomedical school building seems tilted to the right?
    Hi Brian,

I tried to align as best I could, thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    Brian

Hi Brian,

I tried to align as best I could, thanks for commenting.
    I have never understood the science behind leaning buildings

Real Name
    George

I have never understood the science behind leaning buildings
    It's all based on magnification.

John,
    I never drunk my coffee running. Always standing or sitting.
    I don't see wrong lines in the picture but it has something strange. I just can't nail it. Are the streets round? Maybe it's that.

George

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    It's all based on magnification.

John,
    I never drunk my coffee running. Always standing or sitting.
    I don't see wrong lines in the picture but it has something strange. I just can't nail it. Are the streets round? Maybe it's that.

George
    Hi George,

Only odd angle is I was going uphill, also shot at f/1.8.
    Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    ... Are the streets round? Maybe it's that.
    George
    If by round you mean that the sides are lower that the centre of the road, the answer is yes. It is called crowning and is done to direct water to the side i of the road where the storm sewer are located to catch it.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I suspect it is just an optical illusion. When I drop vertical guide lines on the edges of the buildings, the vertical lines are quite true. The medical building is off a touch in the direction you have noted, but the building(s) on the left look right on. The camera is not quite level either and I suspect some of the issue could be some minor lens distortion too.

Sunday Morning Run

I suspect the road crowning that Andre has pointed out might be contributing to the issue.

That being said, what is not working for me is the shallow DoF that throws much of the foreground, especially the car out of focus.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 9th December 2018 at 02:12 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

Ahh, such memories. As an upstate NY kid, those gray snowy mornings were a big part of my life for years.

BTW, not a photographic comment, but nonetheless: all the time I lived in upstate NY, I believed that the farther west you went, that is, the closer to Lake Erie, the worse the lake effect was. So I always assumed that Buffalo had it worse than my native Syracuse. Only recently, decades after moving away, did I learn that this isn't true. Lake Ontario has a large impact as well. Syracuse is the snowiest city with a population over 50,000 in the lower 48. Of course some smaller cities, like Watertown, get it worse yet.

Anyway, back on topic: I think this is an interesting capture and well done, but I think the gas station on the right detracts (not that one could do anything about it).

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Ahh, such memories. As an upstate NY kid, those gray snowy mornings were a big part of my life for years.

BTW, not a photographic comment, but nonetheless: all the time I lived in upstate NY, I believed that the farther west you went, that is, the closer to Lake Erie, the worse the lake effect was. So I always assumed that Buffalo had it worse than my native Syracuse. Only recently, decades after moving away, did I learn that this isn't true. Lake Ontario has a large impact as well. Syracuse is the snowiest city with a population over 50,000 in the lower 48. Of course some smaller cities, like Watertown, get it worse yet.

Anyway, back on topic: I think this is an interesting capture and well done, but I think the gas station on the right detracts (not that one could do anything about it).
    Hi Dan,

Thanks for commenting, yes Oswego had a 141 inch snowfall one year. Sometimes entire sections of the city can escape the brunt of the storm. One year I was out of town when a huge snowfall hit, wearing only dress shoes and 3/4 of the city impassable. Luckily there was an entire stretch of the city from the airport towards my home that was completely void of snow. Thanks for viewing and commenting.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I suspect it is just an optical illusion. When I drop vertical guide lines on the edges of the buildings, the vertical lines are quite true. The medical building is off a touch in the direction you have noted, but the building(s) on the left look right on. The camera is not quite level either and I suspect some of the issue could be some minor lens distortion too.

Sunday Morning Run

I suspect the road crowning that Andre has pointed out might be contributing to the issue.

That being said, what is not working for me is the shallow DoF that throws much of the foreground, especially the car out of focus.
    The 85mm 1.8G is known for having a slight bit of distortion especially when shot wide open, thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Round Tuit View Post
    If by round you mean that the sides are lower that the centre of the road, the answer is yes. It is called crowning and is done to direct water to the side i of the road where the storm sewer are located to catch it.
    Thanks for viewing.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The 85mm 1.8G is known for having a slight bit of distortion especially when shot wide open, thanks for commenting.
    Have you tried applying Lens Correction during PP with your raw converter? I find that this usually addresses the issue very well.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Have you tried applying Lens Correction during PP with your raw converter? I find that this usually addresses the issue very well.
    Not in the raw converter, I applied it within Elements during processing.

Real Name
    John

A bit of the WNY swirl in action.

Sunday Morning Run_DSC7765 by JOHN, on Flickr
    Sunday Morning Run_DSC7764 by JOHN, on Flickr
    Sunday Morning Run_DSC7763 by JOHN, on Flickr

As soon as I opened this thread and saw your image, I got a wicked chill. That raw, wet, slushy kind a morning. Your pic told me everything I needed to know about your sunday morning. Your subsequent images only worsened the feeling.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    As soon as I opened this thread and saw your image, I got a wicked chill. That raw, wet, slushy kind a morning. Your pic told me everything I needed to know about your sunday morning. Your subsequent images only worsened the feeling.
    Thanks for commenting and sharing my weatherly woes.

Real Name
    Brian

Not sure if I'm bragging or complaining but when I was in Kit-a-mat (on the northern coast of British Columbia Canada) the record snowfall was basically six feet in twenty-four hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast