Thread: All systems go

Real Name
    Brian

All systems go

All systems go

Capture 1 Sony Pro V12 has some mighty fine new masking options. One of which was used to create this image. This is day one for my learning curve and there is no doubt that the best is yet to come.

As always, shot in our temple/garden somewhere in the Philippines

Real Name
    John

Re: All systems go

Nicely seen and captured.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nicely seen and captured.
    It's a thorn on one of our lemon trees that is growing beside our door

Real Name
    Rudi

Interesting shot Brian.
    It is probably not what you are looking for, but personally, I would like to see a bit more 'separation' between the right-side top-half off the spine and the background....

Real Name
    Richard

Brian... Your macro and closeup efforts have really flowered (pun intended) but, I am wondering if some added light might not be applicable to some of those shots. Either an inexpensive flash or a light like this might be the ticket.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dimmable-17...sZm3:rk:2:pf:0

It would be easy to diffuse either light source and to use a reflector for some fill. The flash would help to freeze action (depending on the level of ambient light) while the LED would give you WYSIWYG lighting. Either could be powered by battery and would not need an a/c power source... Either would be relatively inexpensive since you would not need a TTL flash, manual would do just fine.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Brian... Your macro and closeup efforts have really flowered (pun intended) but, I am wondering if some added light might not be applicable to some of those shots. Either an inexpensive flash or a light like this might be the ticket.

It would be easy to diffuse either light source and to use a reflector for some fill. The flash would help to freeze action (depending on the level of ambient light) while the LED would give you WYSIWYG lighting. Either could be powered by battery and would not need an a/c power source... Either would be relatively inexpensive since you would not need a TTL flash, manual would do just fine.
    Richard - while I firmly agree with your assessment of adding light. I suspect that once Brian figures out luminosity masks (and how they work with the other C1 functionality), we should see him use those to correct these types of issues. A luminosity mask to bring out the shadow detail would certainly help this image.

All systems go

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    Interesting shot Brian.
    It is probably not what you are looking for, but personally, I would like to see a bit more 'separation' between the right-side top-half off the spine and the background....
    I think that once I explore the masking potential in C1 v12 more separation will not be a problem.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post

I keep playing with the idea of added light but so far my like of the challenge of natural light has won the battle.

Real Name
    Greg

Interesting subject Brian. I've been flicking between your original and Manfred's edit, and I think I prefer the original. It calls to mind a fairy tale forest - if that makes any sense - the shadow is where the mystery is and that is lost when the front of the thorn is lightened to reveal detail. So, it depends on your purpose - narrative or forensic.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    Interesting subject Brian. I've been flicking between your original and Manfred's edit, and I think I prefer the original. It calls to mind a fairy tale forest - if that makes any sense - the shadow is where the mystery is and that is lost when the front of the thorn is lightened to reveal detail. So, it depends on your purpose - narrative or forensic.
    Definitely narrative. I am going to be posting a revised version where i use both the luminosity and the radial gradient mask. Lots of fun

All systems go
    Last edited by JBW; 23rd December 2018 at 06:05 AM.