Thread: Foggy Days

Real Name
    Monique

Foggy Days

Hi all,
    I thought I'd share a recent capture with you here. It's always great going out on foggy days, because I'll never return home empty handed. There's something about fog...

Merry Christmas!
    M. x

Foggy Days

Real Name
    John

Re: Foggy Days

Nice atmospheric shot. Happy Holidays!

Real Name
    Monique

Thanks John!

Real Name
    Sandy

Hi Monique - I like to imagine myself in the scene presented in an image. This one is especially nice because it would be a perfect day for bluegill fishing or sitting on the shore enjoying a picnic. The foggy condition makes it feel secluded there. Well done!

Real Name
    Monique

Thank you for your kind words, Sandy! It's one of my favourite spots to relax and unwind, and fog makes it infinitely beautiful! I'm glad you enjoyed this scene as much as I do.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Just like your snow scene shot, this image has a very dominant blue colour cast.

Is this something you are doing on purpose or is this the result of a computer screen that is not displaying the correct colours?

Real Name
    Monique

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Just like your snow scene shot, this image has a very dominant blue colour cast.

Is this something you are doing on purpose or is this the result of a computer screen that is not displaying the correct colours?
    This is definitely on purpose- I often like to work with blue to create a certain atmosphere. It's a complete coincidence that these two happened to be the first I share here, since not all my photos have blue in them. I'll be sharing some other things later on!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Yuukon View Post
    This is definitely on purpose- I often like to work with blue to create a certain atmosphere. It's a complete coincidence that these two happened to be the first I share here, since not all my photos have blue in them. I'll be sharing some other things later on!
    Thanks for that information. Unfortunately, unless you let us know that is what you are doing, people are going to assume that this might be an oversight or error. The colour shifts are subtle enough for it to not be obvious that this was done on purpose, perhaps less so this image.

Both of these images definitely have a look of a colour cast, rather than being colour graded.

Winter Wonderland

Party of One

It would be helpful if you mentioned this in your commentary, as that would let the viewer know your intent. That way the viewer will be able to comment on the effectiveness of what you have done rather than assuming a post-processing error.

I get this kind of feedback at times when I am judging a photo competition and the owner of the image asks about why the image was scored poorly. If, for instance the image is entered in a "Nature" category, I would deduct marks for what appears to be a colour cast. If the images were entered in an "Altered Reality" category, I would assume this was done on purpose and would then judge based on how effective the approach is.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 29th December 2018 at 03:12 PM.

Real Name
    Monique

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Thanks for that information. Unfortunately, unless you let us know that is what you are doing, people are going to assume that this might be an oversight or error. The colour ****s are subtle enough for it to not be obvious that this was done on purpose, perhaps less so this image.

Both of these images definitely have a look of a colour cast, rather than being colour graded.

Winter Wonderland

Party of One

It would be helpful if you mentioned this in your commentary, as that would let the viewer know your intent. That way the viewer will be able to comment on the effectiveness of what you have done rather than assuming a post-processing error.

I get this kind of feedback at times when I am judging a photo competition and the owner of the image asks about why the image was scored poorly. If, for instance the image is entered in a "Nature" category, I would deduct marks for what appears to be a colour cast. If the images were entered in an "Altered Reality" category, I would assume this was done on purpose and would then judge based on how effective the approach is.
    Thanks, Manfred. This is something I'll definitely keep in mind on future posts! I'm always used to posting things without having to explain why/what I am doing, so it will require a bit of adjusting on my side, but it's good to know that that's going to help in this place.
    PS: Pardon my slow reply, my health has been on the fritz, which means less computer time.

Real Name
    Catherine

I think you do beautiful work Monique and I love your colour work - in this photo as well as the others of your that I have seen.

Real Name
    Greg

Great image Monique, I love your use of complementary colours in this shot.

Real Name
    Monique

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineA View Post
    I think you do beautiful work Monique and I love your colour work - in this photo as well as the others of your that I have seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    Great image Monique, I love your use of complementary colours in this shot.
    Thank you for your compliments, Catherine and Greg! Much appreciated!