Thread: Party of One

Real Name
    Monique

Party of One

Because my previous two shares both had a lot of blue in them (which happens to be a coincidence!) I decided to share something else I took recently without the blue. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
    Party of One

Real Name
    John

Re: Party of One

Nicely exposed and composed.

Real Name
    Dan

Beautiful capture. However, I agree with Manfred: my attention was immediately grabbed by what appears to be a strong yellow color cast. I'd also consider de-centering the image by removing some of the dark area on the right, which doesn't have interesting detail. Maybe something like this:

Party of One

I would agree with losing part of the right side. Also, clone out any remaining bits of that little bit of grass in the bottom right corner.

Real Name
    Tony

Monique, a lovely image! My only criticism would be that it's a bit too yellow...... Personally I can't see any reason to crop anything from the right, I would be pleased with the content of the image. A very peaceful scene and worthy of offering a Merry Xmas greeting!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

While I agree with the others who have commented on the high level of yellow in the image, what bothers me as well are the dark area that really need some dodging to bring out the area. I've outlined them in red.

Party of One

Real Name
    André

Hello Monique - First let me welcome you to CiC. As you can see, this is a very friendly site where members freely give constructive criticisms on the photos posted for comments.
    I have looked at all four of the photos that you have posted so far and my general impression is that you are not new to photography and that you know your way around post processing as well. I would guess that most of the "flaws" pointed out in your photos are more likely to be deliberate artistic choices that you made. If I am right, I would urge you to keep posting and explain your choices if needed to help us expand our horizon. We have several excellent photographers on this site who are willing and able to mentor us but very few artists willing to do the same.
    André
    P.S. I also love tons of snow.

Real Name
    Monique

Hi all,
    First off apologies for the delay in my responses. My health has been on the fritz lately, which means less computer time as my eyes can't deal with it.

I'd like to thank you all for sharing your thoughts and all the tips and suggestions! They're welcomed with open arms. However, André's observations are correct: the things you see in my work are deliberate artistic choices. I like playing with my photographs, by enhancing the already existing atmosphere that is there when I capture it. I try to recreate what I saw and felt on that day, be it realistic or a bit more towards the artistic side. Manfred already mentioned in another topic I might do well with sharing some explanations on my work here rather than post without- which frankly, is something I am used to so it will require a bit of adjusting on my side.

Thanks again for sharing thoughts on my work! It's much appreciated!