Thread: Morning breaks

Morning breaks

After last night's storm. FZ1000:
    Morning breaksMorning breaks by tombarry975, on Flickr

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Morning breaks

Tom - this one is not working all that well for me.

1. The balance is off. The right side of the image is fairly light and airy while the left hand side is dark and heavy, so the whole image tends to pull to the left.

2. The strong yellow colour cast just looks like the white balance is completely off.

Real Name
    Dan

I have to agree. I like the tree in the fog, but the rest doesn't work. One could cool the image a bit and crop off some of the left side, which would to some extent deal with Manfred's issues, but the house in the background and the driveway or sidewalk at the bottom really detract. what stands out in the house is the gutters. Overall, I think you had a good concept but an unhelpful setting for it.

That cast was deliberate. Should I have said so? The "balance" was what made me take the photo.

Real Name
    John

I like it, I can see where you were heading with this as the lighting/environment must've been glistening and bright. Only issue is the amount of background visible, the house doesn't really add to the composition and the shadows should either be lifted (for the tree only) or allowed to go completely black. Having a bit more foreground and some of the cast shadow of the tree would've been a bonus as well.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. If I had tried for more foreground, it would have been the street!

Real Name
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Tom - this one is not working all that well for me.

1. The balance is off. The right side of the image is fairly light and airy while the left hand side is dark and heavy, so the whole image tends to pull to the left.
    2. The strong yellow colour cast just looks like the white balance is completely off.
    So, in your opinion the balance is off. As Tom stated the yellow cast is deliberate!
    IT'S AN IMAGE! I, as an observer, like the light and dark. If I'd have taken the shot, I would have probably tried to exclude the bright gravel or maybe tone it down a bit!
    We're all human and very few of us on CinC are ready to take images that would be acceptable in any photo competition! We perhaps live in hope but maybe wish that hope springs eternal.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
    So, in your opinion the balance is off. As Tom stated the yellow cast is deliberate!
    In this item I was referring to the overall balance of the image. The darks are on the left and the lights are on the right, so the image feels rather lop-sided and weighted to the left.

Tom did state that the colour cast was deliberate, but that was after I mentioned it. The question still remains, does it work?

Quote Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
    very few of us on CinC are ready to take images that would be acceptable in any photo competition!
    Let me disagree. There are definitely images posted here that would do well in competitions.

Real Name
    Sharon

I love it! Personally the cast works for me.

Real Name
    Brian

When I was a lighthouse keeper, early morning would often have this look and feel after a storm or a heavy fog. How would you think it would look without or perhaps simply much less sidewalk?

Real Name
    Catherine

I love this shot. Very evocative.

Thanks, Brian and Catherine. Brian, I debated over whether to crop the sidewalk out, but I would have lost the shadows of the tree trunk., which were part of the composition. If I had composed looser in the camera, all I would have gained is the curb and street, so I left it as is.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Barry View Post
    Thanks, Brian and Catherine. Brian, I debated over whether to crop the sidewalk out, but I would have lost the shadows of the tree trunk., which were part of the composition. If I had composed looser in the camera, all I would have gained is the curb and street, so I left it as is.
    Fair enough.