Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tourist or Street 2: Sparkle City

Real Name
    John

Re: Tourist or Street 2: PhotoBomb

Quote Originally Posted by skitterbug View Post
    Hi John - No surprise that your images are well done! I really like the drift wood and bet it made a good print as well! I also enjoy your image of the wedding party! Rare to be in color.
    This must be in a popular area? There's even a Ferris wheel in the background. The gal in the F...shirt looks like she may have spotted you! <chuckle>
    Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the comments, the wedding party shot was taken at Niagara Falls state park, when I spotted the wedding party I thought sticking around would result in something special.

Real Name
    Sandy

Re: Tourist or Street 2: PhotoBomb

Your diligence paid off nicely!

Real Name
    John

Re: Tourist or Street 2: Which Country

Part of what peaked my interest in street photography was traveling and I suppose every SP should give you an idea of where the image was taken; but that's not always the case. With travel photography we usually tell our viewers where the image was taken, but if we stray away from traditional street photography and veer more towards street we sort of expect the image to tell the story. Does this image do it for the viewer?

1/4000sec, ISO 400, f/5.3

Tourist or Street 2: Sparkle City

Real Name
    John

Re: Tourist or Street 2: Water

1/400sec, ISO 160, t/5.3

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Part of what peaked my interest in street photography was traveling and I suppose every SP should give you an idea of where the image was taken; but that's not always the case. With travel photography we usually tell our viewers where the image was taken, but if we stray away from traditional street photography and veer more towards street we sort of expect the image to tell the story. Does this image do it for the viewer?

1/4000sec, ISO 400, f/5.3

I've not traveled much other than to some of the western states during my younger years so I don't have a feel for where this could have been captured - but then I think that one would probably see most anything in New York! <chuckle> The fellow in the rolled up trousers probably isn't part of the group? Or is he......... Definitely an interesting picture to study!

Real Name
    Sandy

1/400sec, ISO 160, t/5.3
    I really like everything about this image! Excellent!

Real Name
    John

I've not traveled much other than to some of the western states during my younger years so I don't have a feel for where this could have been captured - but then I think that one would probably see most anything in New York! <chuckle> The fellow in the rolled up trousers probably isn't part of the group? Or is he......... Definitely an interesting picture to study!
    Hi Sandy,

This one wasn't taken in WNY, on another continent and no the fellow in the rolled up pants isn't part of the performance. Thanks for commenting and try another guess.

Real Name
    John

I really like everything about this image! Excellent!
    Hi Sandy,

Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    Sandy

Hi Sandy,

This one wasn't taken in WNY, on another continent and no the fellow in the rolled up pants isn't part of the performance. Thanks for commenting and try another guess.
    Australia?

Real Name
    John

Australia?
    We have a winner, yes taken in downtown Sydney and I think this is such a good example of where tourist/street intertwines.

Real Name
    Sandy

We have a winner, yes taken in downtown Sydney and I think this is such a good example of where tourist/street intertwines.
    The group couldn't complain about having an image taken since they are out in a public area 'performing' - correct? So the tourist can happily wander around capturing the 'flavor' of the street activity! I am curious what the people of our local town would think if I would take photos..... of them! <chuckle>
    Last edited by skitterbug; 7th July 2019 at 03:22 AM. Reason: edited because of incorrect verb usage

Real Name
    John

The group couldn't complain about having an image taken since they are out in a public area 'performing' - correct? So the tourist can happily wander around capturing the 'flavor' of the street activity! I am curious what the people of our local town would think if I would take photos..... of them! <chuckle>
    Usually the only complaint from street performers is when they don't receive a tip, regarding your town; their reaction to photos being taken, I think it depends on the area of town (downtown vs residential areas) and the age of the subject, to me it seems that younger people react differently to a camera pointed at them.

Real Name
    Sandy

Usually the only complaint from street performers is when they don't receive a tip, regarding your town; their reaction to photos being taken, I think it depends on the area of town (downtown vs residential areas) and the age of the subject, to me it seems that younger people react differently to a camera pointed at them.
    My best try for 'street' work will probably happen during the annual parade or some other town event. Otherwise the people who would be on the street would be kids going to school (which probably is a no-no) and parents headed to the post office or local eatery. A person actively taking pictures of others would probably be looked upon with suspicion. But then again, I've never tried it.... could be interesting!

Real Name
    John

My best try for 'street' work will probably happen during the annual parade or some other town event. Otherwise the people who would be on the street would be kids going to school (which probably is a no-no) and parents headed to the post office or local eatery. A person actively taking pictures of others would probably be looked upon with suspicion. But then again, I've never tried it.... could be interesting!
    Your attempts may also lead to distracting conversations as people are usually curious of what you are photographing; even if it isn't them. The parade and events are always good places to start a street photography endeavor, looking forward to seeing some of your captures. By the way, did you check out the video in this thread?

Street Photography and Social Media: Martin Bond

Real Name
    Tony Watts

I thought there was something familiar about that picture with the didgeridoo. I took this last Christmas. Circular Quay is a very touristy place and nobody, especially a busker like this, would be at all surprised to have a picture taken.

I hope you don't mind me posting in your thread. There is nothing very special about the picture.

Real Name
    John

Hi Tony,

Don't mind at all and nicely captured, the image fits the thread and adds to the discussion. You say there is nothing special about the image, I wonder if its because you are from the region and would expect to see a similar scene in the near future, whereas someone visiting the region for the first time would find the man's tribal markings unique and may never see someone like him again?

Real Name
    Odd Skjæveland

...whereas someone visiting the region for the first time would find the man's tribal markings unique and may never see someone like him again?
    Or listen to the amazing sound of the didgeridoo. Rolf Harris explains how to play with "cycle breathing" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APE44z9Q0yE

--
    Odd S.

Real Name
    John

Re: Tourist or Street 2: Heart

f/4.5, ISO 640, 1/320sec

An overcast evening so I set ISO as shown and switched to shutter priority hoping to reduce editing time. It took me about ten minutes to edit where I felt it was ready for online posting.

Real Name
    Sandy

Another comment on Picture in post #83..... This image stirred my curiosity enough that I hunted for the origin when challenged <chuckle> and as Tony mentioned, I also hunted until I found a page that gave me the information about how to make and play a didgeridoo! So an excellent image not only to view but to also stir up "conversations and curiosity"!

Post #98 - she doesn't look like she needs to burn off "the crazy"! She looks like someone who would be fun to know! Nice capture of her smile and her heart emote!

Real Name
    John

Another comment on Picture in post #83..... This image stirred my curiosity enough that I hunted for the origin when challenged <chuckle> and as Tony mentioned, I also hunted until I found a page that gave me the information about how to make and play a didgeridoo! So an excellent image not only to view but to also stir up "conversations and curiosity"!

Post #98 - she doesn't look like she needs to burn off "the crazy"! She looks like someone who would be fun to know! Nice capture of her smile and her heart emote!
    Hi Sandy,

Post 83 imagery went beyond tourist photography for me in that as presented I didn't identify the location, normally when we show our vacation photos viewers know where we've traveled or we let them know before showing. As a standalone image it gave the viewer the information needed to identify where and perhaps why the image was taken. In the past I used to show hundreds of images of my travels, I'm starting to dwindle the number shown down to about twenty, yet my close friends and family have started asking "where's the rest?"

Post 98, taken on a sweltering hot evening yet she was spirited enough to make me smile. Thanks for commenting.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast