Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tourist or Street 2: Sparkle City

Real Name
    John

Re: Tourist or Street 2: Brickell Village

Fashion and Night Noir II for me John although I agree with Dans comments. His views on what street is are particularly helpful in my view in that if the people are the the subject then although the skyline is important to the context, it would be worth pulling down the BG highlights slightly to reduce their pull. The reverse is true of course if the skyline is what you wanted to feature. I like Fashion quite a lot. It's a pity about the column behind her but that is street. I find the image attractive because you have caught her attention and had you waited to avoid the column, you might have missed the moment.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Fashion and Night Noir II for me John although I agree with Dans comments. His views on what street is are particularly helpful in my view in that if the people are the the subject then although the skyline is important to the context, it would be worth pulling down the BG highlights slightly to reduce their pull. The reverse is true of course if the skyline is what you wanted to feature. I like Fashion quite a lot. It's a pity about the column behind her but that is street. I find the image attractive because you have caught her attention and had you waited to avoid the column, you might have missed the moment.
    Hi John,

With Night Noir II, the skyline was the original subject but that was another capture, after I'd completed my task I sort of took in the rest of the environment so for the Night Noir II shot the skyline is an added element with the two gentlemen being the subject. The Noir genre to me only works when there are people in the shot, although a dimly lit alley could work without people but I think at least a cast shadow of a human or even a cat would really be needed.

For the fashion shot, I did shoot about three stills of her but this was the only one where she was looking in my direction, I'll have to review the column as I didn't think there were any significant distractions in this shot. Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Hi John,

..................................For the fashion shot, I did shoot about three stills of her but this was the only one where she was looking in my direction, I'll have to review the column as I didn't think there were any significant distractions in this shot. Thanks for commenting.
    No great distraction - just a thought. The subject is too strong.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    No great distraction - just a thought. The subject is too strong.
    John,

Thanks for following up.

Real Name
    John

Re: Tourist or Street 2: Snowflakes in Summer 2

This is one of another from a previous post Snowflakes in Summer

Tourist or Street 2: Sparkle CitySnowflakes in Summer 2 by JOHN, on Flickr

Printed on Canson PhotoSatin 8.5" x 11.0".

Real Name
    John

Re: Tourist or Street 2: 4 Ever 21

Trying the alternate upload method.

Tourist or Street 2: Sparkle City
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shadowman; 5th February 2019 at 12:53 AM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Tourist or Street 2: Road Trip

Printed on Epson Glossy 13"x19". f/7.1, ISO 1600, 1/1250sec.

Last edited by Shadowman; 26th January 2019 at 01:12 AM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Tourist or Street 2: Reach

I printed this image on Epson Presentation Matte paper and like the smooth appearance of the medium. I converted this image to black and white to subdue some of the background elements and edited to add a bit more contrast to the reaching figure.

Real Name
    John

Re: Tourist or Street 2: Snow Princess

Printed on Canson Platine 8.5" x 11.0".

f/5.6, ISO 400, 1/1600sec

Real Name
    John

Re: Tourist or Street 2: Rani

f/5, ISO 200, 1/200sec
    A somewhat backlit capture, edited to preserve the splashes of light. Printed on Canson Infinity Rag, 8.5" x 11.0".

Real Name
    Dan

interesting capture. I'd crop off the finger, or whatever it is, at the bottom. I'd also consider lightening her face a bit because of the backlighting. E.g., although this may be too much:

I wasn't sure about the loom, or whatever it is, on the left. Having it there is a bit of a distraction, and it leaves more negative space behind the woman than in front of her.

BTW, you mentioned before that you like Canson papers, and I see that you used them in a lot of these. After a lot of trials, I decided this months on two Canson papers as my defaults: Rag Photographique and Baryta Photographique. Had a hard time choosing between the latter and the Platine that you use, but they aren't very different.
    Last edited by DanK; 21st February 2019 at 10:44 PM.

Real Name
    John

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the comments and critique. Regarding Canson papers, I do like both of the ones you mentioned but my favorite is Platine, it has a glossy look but works well with Matte black ink.

Real Name
    Sandy

Hi John - I really like the Snow Princess. Is she on ice? I was also wondering if it would have been better to have more space in front of her rather than behind?

I've got to check into Canson Platine now that I've begun the new adventure of printing......

Real Name
    Dan

Sandy,

Re testing papers: A number of paper companies sell sampler packages. I bought them from Moab, Red River, Hahnemuehle, and Canson. Otherwise, it gets very expensive.

One of the things I did when I tested a bunch of papers recently is to look at them under different kinds of light and to examine them under UV-protective glass. OBAs (optical brightening agents) are used in many papers, even some very high-end ones, to create a whiter white, but they do it by absorbing UV light and fluorescing in the visible spectrum. Put them under UV glass, and that effect disappears.

Because I mostly display under UV glass, and because OBAs can deteriorate over time, I was particularly interested in cold white papers that don't use OBAs. Platine is one. Baryta Photographique and Rag Photographique are others of this type.

There was a discussion recently about test images for this purpose. I used this one, which provides information on tonal range, skin rendition, shadow detail, and much more.

Dan

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by skitterbug View Post
    Hi John - I really like the Snow Princess. Is she on ice? I was also wondering if it would have been better to have more space in front of her rather than behind?

I've got to check into Canson Platine now that I've begun the new adventure of printing......
    Hi Sandy,

The Snow Princess was an uncropped image, I was timing the shot before she disappeared underneath the bridge I was standing on. I have a few others where there is more white space (and yes she is on ice) surrounding her.

Regarding printing, I forgot which model you purchased but anyway the Canson papers should be suitable for your particular printer. Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    John

Post #10, before I purchased my Epson I requested quite a few prints of photos on specific papers and quite a few stood out for me over others, it also got me over my aversion to Matte papers, had only tried Presentation Matte in the past and wasn't that impressed; however after getting my printer I've had a lot of fun printing on the Presentation papers (I think the name was changed to Ultra Premium) and while the papers aren't meant to last they do give a color presentation.

Real Name
    John

Re: Tourist or Street 2: Sunset Strip

1/1000sec, ISO 800, f/20

Printed on Canson Platine, 8.5" x 11.0".

Real Name
    Claire

The busy street of Shibuya, Tokyo captured using iPhone 8.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by 1claire View Post
    The busy street of Shibuya, Tokyo captured using iPhone 8.
    Nice contribution.

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    1/1000sec, ISO 800, f/20

Printed on Canson Platine, 8.5" x 11.0".

Hi John,

I like this image! Does Canson Platine paper display the sunshine and the "glow spots" on the bottom right (for lack of a better term for it) the same as it shows on the monitor screen?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast