Thread: Fly With Me

Real Name
    Monique

Fly With Me

As you guys may have noticed by now, I like to get creative with my photo editing. However, it doesn't stay there. I also like to get creative with my subject, and my plush bunny is a regular model for me during these times. I present to you, Bubs the Bunny.

Fly With Me

I once again went for a creative editing as well, because I felt that is something that fits this type of photography. I felt like the blue in the surroundings compliments the blue details of the hot air balloon and the bunny's bow. The hot air balloon and bow I have crafted myself.

This photo consists of two different exposures, one in which the bunny in the hot air balloon is resting on a stool, the other one of the blurred background as it presented during shooting the first photograph.

PS: I wasn't sure if this is the right place to post it, but since it said "and all other photography", I figured this is where it should go. If not, please let me know so I can keep that in mind for future shots like these.

Re: Fly With Me

That scene works well.

If those creatures are pets they should, in theory, be in the other forum; however, if they are wild animals then this is the place for them.

We aren't overly strict about where to place your images.

Real Name
    Dan

An interesting concept, but the image doesn't work for me. Apart from the color cast, which isn't to my taste, the image is lacking in both contrast and sharpness. The visual impression of lack of contrast is mirrored in the histogram, which has most of the image within a fairly narrow tonal range. The overall effect is to make the image look murky.
    Last edited by DanK; 2nd January 2019 at 10:16 PM.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    An interesting concept, but the image doesn't work for me. Apart from the color cast, which isn't to my taste, the image is lacking in both contrast and sharpness. The visual impression of lack of contrast is mirrored in the histogram, which has most of the image within a fairly narrow tonal range. The overall effect is to make the image look murky.
    I agree. The whole image suffers with a high black level. The bunny, basket and balloon are certainly sharp enough but they lack the local/micro contrast that would add a bit of pop to the subject.

How about ...

Fly With Me

Nice theme though ...
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 2nd January 2019 at 11:06 PM.

Real Name
    John

I applaud you on the exercise, the staging of the shot, and the work involved in blending exposures but as others have stated the image lacks contrast which to me would make it a more appealing image. On the other hand, I think I would like this image better if the background were blurred as if the balloon/bunny were zipping by.

Real Name
    David

I do like the image, the way it is processed gives me the feeling of a processed film photo. (Although I have no experience with it my self)
    There seems to be a little post processing artifacts around the sandbags and the basket, but that might be because of the resolution of the image.

Real Name
    Greg

I think you have succeeded in producing a dreamy effect which complements the whimsical nature of the subject. It also reminds me of an old polaroid.

Real Name
    Sharon

While the concept doesn’t grab me, I do prefer the original, the processing does exactly as intended and takes an artsy path

Real Name
    Monique

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    I agree. The whole image suffers with a high black level. The bunny, basket and balloon are certainly sharp enough but they lack the local/micro contrast that would add a bit of pop to the subject.

How about ...

Fly With Me

Nice theme though ...
    Personally, I feel like the image becomes too harsh in your example. Maybe a slight increase of contrast would do, but I would never pull it that far to be honest. It was intended to be the soft, dreamy scene as others so aptly called it and adding the contrast just goes against that.

Real Name
    Monique

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I applaud you on the exercise, the staging of the shot, and the work involved in blending exposures but as others have stated the image lacks contrast which to me would make it a more appealing image. On the other hand, I think I would like this image better if the background were blurred as if the balloon/bunny were zipping by.
    You mean with a gentle motion blur? That's quite a nice idea that I might just try out...

Real Name
    Monique

Quote Originally Posted by dnperfors View Post
    I do like the image, the way it is processed gives me the feeling of a processed film photo. (Although I have no experience with it my self)
    There seems to be a little post processing artifacts around the sandbags and the basket, but that might be because of the resolution of the image.
    I think the artifacts are because of the place the image is hosted... I've always used DeviantArt to grab my images, but lately something has been amiss with the quality of all the works hosted on their server... I can assure you those are not there in the file on my pc.

Real Name
    Monique

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    That scene works well.

If those creatures are pets they should, in theory, be in the other forum; however, if they are wild animals then this is the place for them.

We aren't overly strict about where to place your images.
    Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    I think you have succeeded in producing a dreamy effect which complements the whimsical nature of the subject. It also reminds me of an old polaroid.
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelife65 View Post
    While the concept doesn’t grab me, I do prefer the original, the processing does exactly as intended and takes an artsy path
    Thanks guys, for your lovely comments!

It was that rather soft looking rather bluish light which appealed to me. Together with the somewhat low light angle on the 'balloon' it made me think about this being a misty early morning or late evening shot with low light levels.

Real Name
    Monique

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    It was that rather soft looking rather bluish light which appealed to me. Together with the somewhat low light angle on the 'balloon' it made me think about this being a misty early morning or late evening shot with low light levels.
    Thank you Geoff! I shot this about an hour after sunrise, so the light wasn't quite high, as you noticed on the balloon. It was a slightly cloudy day, so not too overly bright. It already had a soft atmosphere in the raw shot, and I liked that a lot so I worked to hold on to it. I'm glad to hear it works for you!

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Yuukon View Post
    Personally, I feel like the image becomes too harsh in your example. Maybe a slight increase of contrast would do, but I would never pull it that far to be honest. It was intended to be the soft, dreamy scene as others so aptly called it and adding the contrast just goes against that.
    My apologies. Sometimes I don't see the original intent.

Real Name
    Monique

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    My apologies. Sometimes I don't see the original intent.
    No need to apologise. It's good to see other versions too, it helps me either see what can be changed or confirm that what I did was the right thing for the photo. In this case, it was the latter, and that too is helpful!