Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Morning High-Yah

Real Name
    Daniel

Morning High-Yah

We were able to try out or new coffee maker this morning. I decided I wanted to try my hand product photography. As always CandC is welcomed and appreciated.

It was super fun trying to figure out framing. I feel product photography has its own rules when it comes to framing. Am I supposed to have the subject centered in the frame or amd I supposed to follwo the rule of thirds?

Thanks for taking to the time to view and review.

Morning High-Yah

Real Name
    David

Re: Morning High-Yah

Taking the picture from a higher position could have avoided the (not quite horizontal) dark brown line across the top of the image.

I would reposition the subject in order to hide the electricity socket.

Finally the item on the left with a dial on it is out of focus but it does not appear to be intentional.

I cannot comment on "rules" for product photography, other than to say it might depend on whether the product is being photographed on its own (as a record for an ecommerce site, for example) or whether it is to be shown in a typical context.

Real Name
    John

You can do a lot compositionally with product photography, rule of thirds, fill the frame, perspective (as suggested), it's up to you and you should never settle on just one setup. Try sketching the subject, add diagonal lines, surfaces, etc. to see what catches your eye.

Real Name
    Zen

Well, yes! But does it make coffee?

Zen

Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks for the comments. It seems like there is a lot of freedom in product photography and I should work to capture as many angles as possible.

In terms of focus, I was trying to capture the details of the coffee maker on the right side, a separate but important item is the coffee grinder on the left. I was not worried about capturing the details of the grinder. Thinking about it now, if its not importnat enough to be in focus does it need to be in the photo? I think the obvious answer is no it does not need to be in the photo.

Yes, this thing makes some kick-ass coffee.

I will try some more photos of this item this week using these suggestions. Be on the lookout for more coffee making appliances in the future.