Thread: Winter scene

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Winter scene

I expect most Canadians and Americans from the Northern States might recognize what this is.

Winter scene
    Last edited by Manfred M; 20th January 2019 at 04:06 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Winter scene

Oh we get that in Scotland as well. Thankfully normally not in such quantities as you get it across the pond. Thank goodness for the Gulf Stream. However if those who deny climate change get there way, the gulf stream will stop functioning and our climate will be very different.

Real Name
    Sandy

Not just the Northern states. Ohio got hit with snow as well. Getting out of the driveway for church this morning was tough going. Hubby decided he had to get his snow removal equipment running - after we returned home again......

Your image definitely tells the story! <brrrr>

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Oh we get that in Scotland as well. Thankfully normally not in such quantities as you get it across the pond. Thank goodness for the Gulf Stream. However if those who deny climate change get there way, the gulf stream will stop functioning and our climate will be very different.
    So I understand. One of my engineering professors was from Scotland and was an avid skier and learned to ski there.

Yes, the Gulf Stream certainly impacts the countries in Northern Europe that are close to the sea in a positive way and the potential changes to the Gulf Stream from climate change are certainly scary.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by skitterbug View Post
    Not just the Northern states. Ohio got hit with snow as well. Getting out of the driveway for church this morning was tough going. Hubby decided he had to get his snow removal equipment running - after we returned home again......

Your image definitely tells the story! <brrrr>
    In my view any US States that are close to the Canadian Border count as Northern States. Having visited Barberton, Ohio on business during the winter, the climate seemed to be just as brutal as on the other side of Lake Erie.

Real Name
    John

The coverage looks clean so it wasn't the result of a plow, nicely captured.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    The coverage looks clean so it wasn't the result of a plow, nicely captured.
    Definitely clean. This is the result of the overnight fall of about 30cm / 12 inches of snow accumulating on my daughter's car. I thought the red mirror poking out looked a bit abstract.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I expect most Canadians and Americans from the Northern States might recognize what this is.

Winter scene
    A red nose. Probably a combination of low temperature and to much bourbon.
    I do recognize the snow, still, but not that red thing. Nice image.

George

Real Name
    John

This is how I like to see it - in a picture. Happily, the gulf stream currently keeps the Lancashire coast warm enough to avoid snow for most of the time but as Donald says, it could all change.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    This is how I like to see it - in a picture. Happily, the gulf stream currently keeps the Lancashire coast warm enough to avoid snow for most of the time but as Donald says, it could all change.
    Golfstream+ westerly wind+mountains=a lot of water.

George

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Making the best of a bad situation. You have to give winter one advantage, does tend to simplify the image and gets rid of the distracting extraneous stuff (like flowers, grass, leaves and young women in bathing suits)

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    A red nose. Probably a combination of low temperature and to much bourbon.
    I do recognize the snow, still, but not that red thing. Nice image.

George
    It's the side mirror of a snow-covered car George. In Canada the whisky of choice is Canadian whisky; which is also referred to as "rye whisky", even though it is usually made primarily from other grains or corn. Bourbon is something that comes from the USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_whisky

Real Name
    Dan

Sigh. Recognized it instantly. Burned into my memory from many years of cleaning snow off cars. Or perhaps “frozen into my memory” might be more apt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    It's the side mirror of a snow-covered car George. In Canada the whisky of choice is Canadian whisky; which is also referred to as "rye whisky", even though it is usually made primarily from other grains or corn. Bourbon is something that comes from the USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_whisky
    Now I recognize it.
    I thought bourbon would be ok as something from the other side of the ocean. Shame.

George

Real Name
    Paul David

I'm quite familiar with the situation you portray in your photo. I grew up in western NY and remember years when it would snow from Thanksgiving to Easter. 150 to 200 inches per year. I'm watching some low lying clouds coming in over the Bighorns wondering what they will dump on me.

Not a bourbon drinker. The trend among some of the younger guys I work with is the single malt scotch whiskies. When I did drink it was usually wine. Now it's tea.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by LePetomane View Post
    I grew up in western NY and remember years when it would snow from Thanksgiving to Easter. 150 to 200 inches per year..
    I grew up in Toronto, Canada and we would get the television stations from Buffalo NY. I was always amazed at how much snow Western New York got. I had an aunt who lived in Niagara Falls NY and I remember visiting her in the winters and seeing much more snow than we ever saw in Toronto. The "Lake Effect" coming over Lake Erie could lead to some really nasty snowfalls.

Quote Originally Posted by LePetomane View Post
    Not a bourbon drinker. The trend among some of the younger guys I work with is the single malt scotch whiskies. When I did drink it was usually wine. Now it's tea.
    I discovered Japanese whisky on my travels and many of their single malts are every bit as good (and better) than the ones that come out of Scotland. Unfortunately, the world has discovered this as well and the prices exceed what comes out of Scotland. I like a nice Merlot on a cold winter day.

I agree with you on the tea. I had been a regular coffee drinker at work and right after I retired a few years ago, my wife and I headed to South Asia (India, Nepal and Bhutan) for a couple of months. We came back as converted tea drinkers and have converted to drinking spiced tea (masala chai) while there and very rarely drink anything else.

My wife has started experimenting and mixing up her own tea masala blends. It was great when my daughter and family lived in India as we would get gifts of Indian tea and Sri Lankan tea quite regularly. Now that she has moved to Hong Kong, our supply line has been cut and the stuff we can find here is not nearly the same quality.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 21st January 2019 at 05:34 PM.

Loved the shot. I stared at it for a while before figuring out what it must be. As to spirits, I was a single-malt scotch guy until I started losing the ability to taste subtle differences. Saved me money in my old age, as Grouse and single-malts all taste the same nowadays.

Real Name
    Ole

My brain hurts. It is the nose belonging to Mario.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Greg

Nice bit of minimalism, Manfred.