Thread: Economic value zero or maybe minus

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Economic value zero or maybe minus

The farmer stopped after I finished shooting another this old house and told me he thought it was great that I was out shooting images of these old buildings as it validated his keeping the old house in the middle of the field. As I suspected he loses some cropland, money and it is inconvenient to have to drive around the old place, but the sentimental value outweighs the loss.

I was a bit nervous because I had snowshoed out to the house to do the shoots, never know how if anyone will upset by my doing this

Too bad about the moon. However my timing was off and by the time I got out there the moon was getting very low. Plus it was minus 22C and the camera was darn near frozen. I frost bit my fingers on the metal trying adjust the exposure compensation, decided to save my fingers as I knew I would be out for another 30 minutes and I could not afford to do real damage.

Here is a better shot of another building to compensate

Last edited by tbob; 22nd January 2019 at 01:11 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Economic value zero or maybe minus

Actually, I prefer the first image as it is a lot more unusual to see one with the moon in it in a way that complements the overall look. That huge reflector on the ground (a.k.a as snow) has pushed enough light back at the barn to reveal some of the textures of the old building.

I'm a little surprised that sentimentality has kept these old structures around. I figured it had more to do with avoiding the cost of pulling them down and hauling away the old materials to a dump.

Real Name
    John

Nice captures.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I'm a little surprised that sentimentality has kept these old structures around. I figured it had more to do with avoiding the cost of pulling them down and hauling away the old materials to a dump.
    The rural mindset is to merely set fire to the structure then bury the debris in a shallow grave. All you need to do is get permits from forestry and the local fire department (so they know it is not a forest fire) and torch it. Or local vandals can burn it for you gratis.

I am happy to have the affirmative opinion on the moon. Did not bother me to have the bright area. It is good to know it works.
    I am a bit disappointed that I could not at least try for detail in the moon. But I already had white spots on my three fingers, which are now a red sores, and I knew from bitter experience that if I did not stop immediately it would be really bad. I ignored the signs last year and it was several weeks of recovery. And at age 64, with many episodes of frostbitten hands in 40 years in this climate, I am very susceptible to frostbite on my fingers. Need to be very aware of the signs.

I wonder if you could slightly tone down the moon, Trevor, without making it look unnatural? It is a good scene.

I know all too well about the problems of moon scenes photography. Recently I was attempting to photograph thin clouds making a nice ring around the moon effect and I ended up with 3 keepers from 70 shots! Even then they required a bit of editing; and that was in UK temperatures around +6 centigrade.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I wonder if you could slightly tone down the moon, Trevor, without making it look unnatural? It is a good scene.

I know all too well about the problems of moon scenes photography. Recently I was attempting to photograph thin clouds making a nice ring around the moon effect and I ended up with 3 keepers from 70 shots! Even then they required a bit of editing; and that was in UK temperatures around +6 centigrade.
    Unfortunately the moon is completely blown out. Even with some very aggressive darkening it shows up as a white blob (or actually a horrid weird blob that is unnatural and off putting. Better left as is (and this was with post processing to do my best)

Real Name
    Sharon

I love these Trevor. Wonderful images. I love the first one. I see a lot of this out where I live too, wish I could take the time to capture more, as they really are fantastic. There is one old barn on the way to Mount Vernon, WA that had a sign on it "barn wood for taking". I wanted to capture it still standing. Last time I drove by... oh crap, it's toppling. Too bad.