Thread: Karo Woman - Before & After

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Karo Woman - Before & After

I'm teaching at a work shop on making selections, adjustment layers and layer masks using Photoshop tonight at the photo club and thought I might post before and after shot of the image I will be working on. 25 layers went into the final print version

Final

Original

Real Name
    Judith

Re: Karo Woman - Before & After

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I'm teaching at a work shop on making selections, adjustment layers and layer masks using Photoshop tonight at the photo club and thought I might post before and after shot of the image I will be working on. 25 layers went into the final print version

Final

Original

would love to see a screen shot of your layers or a list.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I can just barely fit them onto one page. This stack does not include any of the print adjustment layers. I throw those out after the print is made because they are size and paper specific and only take a few minutes to do.

Real Name
    Ken

Where did the blue beads go?

Real Name
    David

I wish I could have attended your workshop as I still find it is a matter of luck as to whether local adjustments work as I intend. It is so infuriating.

Thank you for sharing the layer stack with us. I will continue to study it for some time to understand the order that layers need to be in.

Meanwhile, and this is probably a very elementary question, please could you explain why and how some layers have brown rectangles and what that means?

I hope the workshop was well received.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Ken MT View Post
    Where did the blue beads go?
    They turned red through the magic of a Hue / Saturation Adjustment Layer with a layer mask to protect the rest of the image. This is what the image looked like before I masked it out. I took the blue colours and turned them red and this showed the areas between the beads green. I then took the green channel and desaturated it to turn those areas gray.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I wish I could have attended your workshop as I still find it is a matter of luck as to whether local adjustments work as I intend. It is so infuriating.

It hasn't happened yet as I had to postpone it due to our second nasty winter storm to hit this week. We are supposed to be getting several hours of freezing rain this evening. About 2 feet of snow have fallen so far. I'm hoping to give it in 2 weeks.

The local adjustments are really all about practice and figuring out what works and what doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Meanwhile, and this is probably a very elementary question, please could you explain why and how some layers have brown rectangles and what that means?
    Actually not a dumb question at all. When we use an RGB colour space, and adjust the brightness of an area, both the brightness and the saturation change. As the brightness decrease, the saturation increases so the area that has been adjusted needs a bit more work. In theory, using a luminosity blend mode should help, but it doesn't work out quite that way. With light skin, I find I have to tweak the saturation a bit to get things to look right, but with darker skin, that just doesn't work so I add a Solid Color Fill Layer using a skin colour sample and then adjust the opacity to tweak the look.

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured.

Real Name
    Judith

I can just barely fit them onto one page. This stack does not include any of the print adjustment layers. I throw those out after the print is made because they are size and paper specific and only take a few minutes to do.

Thanks--very helpful!

Real Name
    David

Actually not a dumb question at all. When we use an RGB colour space, and adjust the brightness of an area, both the brightness and the saturation change. As the brightness decrease, the saturation increases so the area that has been adjusted needs a bit more work. In theory, using a luminosity blend mode should help, but it doesn't work out quite that way. With light skin, I find I have to tweak the saturation a bit to get things to look right, but with darker skin, that just doesn't work so I add a Solid Color Fill Layer using a skin colour sample and then adjust the opacity to tweak the look.
    That really helps my understanding of the processing. It is a gem of insight I shall store away for future reference. And I imagine it could be applied in other circumstances as well. Thank you!