Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Experiences with luminosity masking

Real Name
    Bill

Experiences with luminosity masking

I've been exploring luminosity masking lately, and would be interested to hear from members who use it, especially your experiences in regard to where it fits into your workflow.

Re: Experiences with luminosity masking

They're part of my workflow for some years now and can't imagine me editing without them anymore.
    I'm also using TKActions panel but the bulk of my masking is done manually: ctrl-alt etc... and via the apply image panel.

Sharpening example: protecting shadows (noise) and highlights when sharpening the mids
    Contrast example: lum mask based on the red channel to boost contrast/definition in the clouds
    Exposure example: darkening the sky (based on blue or yellow channel)
    In fact to many to name...

I also don't constrict myself to the RGB channels to make masks. As you know there are 10 channels to our disposal: red/green/blue (RGB),cyan/magenta/yellow/keyplate (CMYK) and a/b/L (Lab). All of these channels can also be combined by blending them (apply image - calculations) or self blending (a channel on itself).
    You can use these techniques to make masks but also apply them on a blank layer. I often use this to make my BW's.

Once you delve into that a world of infinite possibilities opens up.

Real Name
    Bill

Re: Experiences with luminosity masking

Thanks Wannoo. I posted this on another site at the same time as here and got more than enough positive responses to give it a more serious go and am very happy.