Thread: win 10 network

Real Name
    George

win 10 network

Some days ago I decided to make a backup of my nas, about 1T. It took me nearly 2 days. When finished I tried to find out why the speed was so low. In that research I probably removed a wrong usb driver Result: no usb anymore. Meaning no keyboard and no mouse also. I did find somewhere in a garbage back a ps2 keyboard and my pc did have that connection.
    After all kind of trouble I managed to install the os again, a new version. Downloaded all kind of programs, installed my own programs etc. Than I wanted to fix the network. Impossible. Windows 10 from version 1803 doesn't support workgroups anymore. When there's an existing workgroup, than that will work. But you can't create a new one. I can share printers but no maps.
    What a wonderful world with windows.

George

Real Name
    David

Re: win 10 network

You often can reach the nas by using it’s name or IP address. But than you have to know that...

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by dnperfors View Post
    You often can reach the nas by using it’s name or IP address. But than you have to know that...
    Thanks. It's not the network, but the workgroups. With joining/creating a workgroup, a list of computers in your house, you can reach the shares on those pc's. I can reach my nas.

George

Real Name
    John

I have three computers, two tablets, a smart TV (to which I stream video) and a printer networked in the house and I have never used the Workgroups facility. You have to make sure that each device is visible to the network and that all the folders you wish to share are marked as such. Start with Settings and search for "Change Share Options" select the appropriate settings in each of the three areas shown but don't opt for pass word protection. Then go to File Explorer, right click and select Properties/Sharing and for each folder, set up what and with whom you want to share. You have to do this on each computer on the network. Once done, provided all of your devices are switched on, they should register under the "Network" tab in File Explorer and you you should be able to access the data you have made allowable on each device. - I'm assuming that since you already have internet access, you will already have a network set up.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by John 2; 11th February 2019 at 01:18 PM.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    I have three computers, two tablets, a smart TV (to which I stream video) and a printer networked in the house and I have never used the Workgroups facility. You have to make sure that each device is visible to the network and that all the folders you wish to share are marked as such. Start with Settings and search for "Change Share Options" select the appropriate settings in each of the three areas shown but don't opt for pass word protection. Then go to File Explorer, right click and select Properties/Sharing and for each folder, set up what and with whom you want to share. You have to do this on each computer on the network. Once done, provided all of your devices are switched on, they should register under the "Network" tab in File Explorer and you you should be able to access the data you have made allowable on each device. - I'm assuming that since you already have internet access, you will already have a network set up.

Hope this helps.
    I just don't succeed. I see the win 10 pc on my win 8.1 pc as a media server. But that's not what I want. Just access to some directories on each others pc.
    Before you could see on the symbol of a directory in the file explorer if that directory was shared. Now nothing happens.

George

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    I just don't succeed. I see the win 10 pc on my win 8.1 pc as a media server. But that's not what I want. Just access to some directories on each others pc.
    Before you could see on the symbol of a directory in the file explorer if that directory was shared. Now nothing happens.

George
    Hi George:
    Try the work-around on this link from the Microsoft community:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4-3fb2039e5bf2
    I hope this helps.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    Hi George:
    Try the work-around on this link from the Microsoft community:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4-3fb2039e5bf2
    I hope this helps.
    I re-installed win 10 on this pc for several times now. No problems. Only now. When you install windows you never know what it's doing. Now it's trying you to move to the cloud. It's hard to install win without getting an unwanted cloud member.
    In the former post I mentioned version 1803, but it seems to be version 1709 since the workgroups where removed.
    I've to downgrade to 1703. That will be another adventure

George

Real Name
    John

George the latest version is 1809. I have just downloaded it using the MS .ISO file. available on the MS Support site. It has several advantages in my view. You can save it to either an internal drive or a DVD or a memory stick before you load it which gives you a local backup. When you do update, it gives the option to keep current settings, Apps and files and because it is the way you can repair Windows 10, it effectively gives you a clean load. I have just forced an up grade without waiting for the automatic update because some of the new functions in the latest version of Photoshop CC will not work without it. For instance the new "Enhance Details" function in Adobe Raw needs the October 2018 (1809) update to work.