Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Film to digital

Film to digital

I have recently begun shooting film again. I scan film to a tiff format. Is that the best process for final digital printing of my images? What is the highest resolution scan I can use? I do my own scanning on an Epson 550 using Silverfast. However I think I may have photos I plan to use for final printing rescanned professionally. I’m not certain I’m getting the best scan myself.

Thanks.

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Film to digital

Quote Originally Posted by rmargolis View Post
    I have recently begun shooting film again. I scan film to a tiff format. Is that the best process for final digital printing of my images?
    The film cognoscenti here would probably like to know what type and what speed of film you're using.

What is the highest resolution scan I can use?
    As high as you like, IMHO.

I often shot Porta 160 35mm or 400 or Ilford Delta 100 or 400.

Real Name
    John

Silverfast will scan my slides at up to 4000dpi on my Nikon Coolscan V scanner.

John

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

While I have contemplated doing this, I haven't gotten around to it. I know a number of people who do shoot film to digital for high end work and the general consensus of the ones I've spoken with is that 35mm to direct scan does not give them results that they are happy with. People seem to have followed two different paths:

1. Bought a medium format camera (these are relatively inexpensive these days) and scanned the medium format negatives.

2. The ones that shoot 35mm will do a traditional print in the darkroom that has specifically been exposed for scanning, i.e. good distribution from highlights to shadows. They print this in the wet darkroom to as large an image as that their scanner takes. They scan this image and use it in post-processing.

Quote Originally Posted by rmargolis View Post
    I have recently begun shooting film again. I scan film to a tiff format. Is that the best process for final digital printing of my images? What is the highest resolution scan I can use? I do my own scanning on an Epson 550 using Silverfast. However I think I may have photos I plan to use for final printing rescanned professionally. I’m not certain I’m getting the best scan myself.

Thanks.
    You do not say what version of Silverfast you are running, but, if it works as mine does (I'm on the latest version, sorry, cannot recall the number now, and I am working from Linux, so cannot look it up), you select the scan resolution from the panel on the left. Silverfast licenses their software optimized for one specific scanner, a point of contention with many of us. However, the bright side is that it knows the maximum resolution of which your scanner is capable. Resolution is set by use of a slider. Above the slider is a color scale. The maximum recommended setting for your scanner is indicated by the yellow shade on the color scale.
    That said, there is a point of diminishing return with regard to resolution. The higher your resolution, the larger the size of your resulting file. Very large files can cause your computer to become sluggish when you go to post process them. I scan my film at 4800, which is probably somewhat wasteful, but I like the result and do not care much about storage space or how long it takes me to post process. If you search other sites for advice on this subject, many will tell you that you get little noticeable benefit at settings above 2400 or 3200 (or whatever). They may be correct, but I continue to work at 4800.

TIFF format is the best format. Silverfast is capable of outputting their own RAW scan file, but I have not tried it. I am quite happy with my results.

Make certain to control dust as it will collect on the scanner surfaces, film holder surfaces, and on the film itself. Are you doing your own processing or have it done at the lab? Silverfast includes dust reducing functions, and i do use them. Generally, I turn off unsharpen, because I would rather control that in post processing.

Although I admit to shooting mostly digital these days, I own some really high-end film gear, and always take a special pleasure in using the equipment and the medium. My films of choice are Portra 160 or Ektar 100.

Good luck and have fun.

Caruso

Real Name
    Peter

Is this your scanner?

https://www.epson.co.uk/products/sca...ion-v550-photo

If so, 6,400dpi optical resolution