Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grainy experiment Critique welcome

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Grainy experiment Critique welcome

A pure experiment. Interested in opinions as I trust the people on this forum to be objective

Grainy experiment  Critique welcome

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Grainy experiment Critique welcome

I'm not sure that this is the right subject for that much noise.

I look at this much the same way as I did in my film photography days. Grain and noise work well to add a bit of "grittiness" to a scene. It can work in techno / industrial settings but I'm not certain that it is effective in a serene moonlit rural setting. It seems too peaceful to benefit from the noise.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 16th February 2019 at 03:32 AM. Reason: grammar correction - changed to -> too

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Good point As this is a learning experiment/experience I will bear that in mind. This was try something radical to see where it goes, maybe useful in other contexts.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    A pure experiment. Interested in opinions as I trust the people on this forum to be objective
    I don't think I can be objective. My subjective impression is that this graininess works well on this subject

John

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRostron View Post
    I don't think I can be objective. My subjective impression is that this graininess works well on this subject

John
    I should not have been so prescriptive. Subjective opinions are welcome as well May even be more apropos as a really I am trying to evoke a feeling.

Thanks, as your opinion speaks to the latter.

Now I am one horns of a dilemma with one yay and one nay.

As an artistic impression image this works OK for me; except for that oval shaped moon.

Real Name
    Bruce

Trevor, I tend to agree with Geoff. But I found that the more I looked at the image the more I wondered about the shadow of moonlight cast be the barn. What appears to be the shadow from the barn doesn’t start until it’s some distance from the barn.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    As an artistic impression image this works OK for me; except for that oval shaped moon.
    I may be able to correct that with a bit of cloning. The problem is that it was a 25 second exposure and the moon moved so it is smear rather than a circle. Did not bother me, will have to dwell on the pros and cons of adjusting it now I see the problem.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
    Trevor, I tend to agree with Geoff. But I found that the more I looked at the image the more I wondered about the shadow of moonlight cast be the barn. What appears to be the shadow from the barn doesn’t start until it’s some distance from the barn.
    There is a drift in front of the house that is being lit by reflection off the snow. I did consider changing it, but then I loose the drift (I like the drift; if you get my drift). I will however mull it over and do at least an attempt at amending the moon and drift. Worth the effort to see how if improves the image. May very well and I appreciate the opinion.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I amended the moon and drift I am not sure about the drift as I struggled to get the edge to look natural and blend.

Plus a more harmonious moon (I made an error in the mask and decided to push the result to its conclusion)

Real Name
    Ole

Trevor, I love the idea very much. I am not so sure about the building though. I think that the contrast between the building and the surrounds is too stark.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    John

I like the effort and can see where you are going with the concept. I like the final result and this particular subject works well for the execution.

Real Name
    André

I like the drift and the shadow in your original photo.(I get your drift). The circular moon is better but I would consider filling the circle with an actual photo of the moon. As for the noise, I would consider cutting it down considerably and would play with its distribution and its intensity.

Real Name
    Dan

My subjective two cents: I think the noise detracts. I find it distracting and a bit unpleasant. As Manfred said, it’s not the kind of image that is helped by this. But just my taste.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Sharon

Personally Trev I think it's fantastic. But I tend to love this kind of photography as it is unique, and I believe your landscape is a good subject for it. There is a photographer out there that does it more with a very focused subject and a grainy / somehow uniquely processed background that gives a similar effect (not quite the same) and he is winning all kinds of awards and getting into magazines and all that.

I love it, thank you for sharing.

Real Name
    Greg

Not sure about this one. It does remind me of the grainy photos from great photographers but somehow it doesn't seem quite right. Maybe too dark, or not dark enough. Or maybe it needs to be less sharply focused ...

Real Name
    John

I quite like that as something different. It's a bit retro in some respects and I think I prefer the original to the later variants.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Thanks everyone. A bit of a mixed bag, however enough positive appeal that i will pursue the concept. And refine it a bit given the helpful feedback.

Real Name
    Ted

An interesting concept, Trevor. (This from one who has found no concepts at all to date.)

Personally, I'm finding that the 'falling-down-ness' of the structure is tending to pull my eye away from the compositional intent; I can't explain why, sorry.

A lot of talk here about someone else's moonrise shot but grain didn't get a mention ... LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonri...ez,_New_Mexico

Last edited by xpatUSA; 16th February 2019 at 03:16 PM.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    Thanks everyone. A bit of a mixed bag, however enough positive appeal that i will pursue the concept. And refine it a bit given the helpful feedback.
    Trevor,

I'm glad you are planning to pursue the concept, taking a sampling from one forum isn't large enough to encompass a worldwide reception to a particular style. We had one member on this forum who liked to dabble at smoke effects and although he received positive feedback from members of this forum he didn't see any sales on his artwork, yet as I search different styles of photography smoke effect seems to be a popular theme practiced and presented by many artists. Grain in imagery is a hit or miss concept, some viewers see it as nothing but digital noise and some see it as an added element to a presentation, your particular subjects (landscapes and architecture) will present a new and unique style to a commonly photographed scene.
    Last edited by Shadowman; 16th February 2019 at 03:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast