Thread: Overcooked colour?

Real Name
    Julian

Overcooked colour?

I processed this raw file using the Adobe Camera Landscape setting as the starting point but think it is probably too saturated. I wonder what others think?
    Overcooked colour?

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Re: Overcooked colour?

I cannot see "exactly" what you are seeing, but on my calibrated monitor I would say the saturation is spot-on.

Real Name
    David

I am curious as I have not come across an Adobe Camera Landscape setting in LR or PS; is it a preset that you have bought or a in an app for a mobile device?

In my opinion the image is indeed slightly over saturated on screen, but it probably depends on whether you wish to view it as a print or on screen.

Real Name
    Dan

I have an Adobe Landscape setting in Lightroom Classic CC. It is one of the 'profile' choices--the second setting from the top in the Basic panel.

It looks a tad oversaturated to me, particularly the greens in the foreground, but I don't know what the scene really looked like.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I have an Adobe Landscape setting in Lightroom Classic CC. It is one of the 'profile' choices--the second setting from the top in the Basic panel.
    Dan - Thank you for enlightening me, that is one of the buttons I have never clicked on!

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
    I processed this raw file using the Adobe Camera Landscape setting as the starting point but think it is probably too saturated. I wonder what others think?
    Overcooked colour?
    The GIMP can decompose an image into layers of hue, saturation and value(aka brightness).

Here is the Saturation layer of your image:

Overcooked colour?

The x-axis in the histogram represents saturation, not value (level). 0 = grayscale, 255 = 100% saturation in the HSV color model, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSL_and_HSV#Saturation

From a purely measurement POV, the image is not over-saturated namely the histogram is not bunched up or clipped at the right. If the location were around here (Texas Hill Country), the grass has a little too much Chroma, as has already been mentioned.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 20th February 2019 at 08:12 PM.

Real Name
    Julian

Thanks for the replies. I think that the colour of the grass where the sun is on it in the foreground is probably fairly accurate but maybe it is too saturated where it is in the shade of the wall. I must admit that the screen of my new laptop (Dell XPS15) hasn’t been calibrated by me. It is certainly an improvement on the screen of my old (2010?) laptop and the perceived screen brightness seems much less affected by varying viewing angle than the old one was. Is it likely to need calibrating yet and if so, should I get a calibration device or can calibration be done in the laptop itself?

Real Name
    Julian

Thanks Ted, my post crossed with yours. Grass can certainly be incredibly green here in the right light conditions and I think I’d got used to seeing my photos on a rather poor screen on my old laptop.
    I wonder if that GIMP manoeuvre can be replicated in any of the commercial editing programs?

Real Name
    Bruce

Thanks for the replies. I think that the colour of the grass where the sun is on it in the foreground is probably fairly accurate but maybe it is too saturated where it is in the shade of the wall. I must admit that the screen of my new laptop (Dell XPS15) hasn’t been calibrated by me. It is certainly an improvement on the screen of my old (2010?) laptop and the perceived screen brightness seems much less affected by varying viewing angle than the old one was. Is it likely to need calibrating yet and if so, should I get a calibration device or can calibration be done in the laptop itself?
    Thonton, laptops have a reputation for not displaying pictures accurately. So I personally would be very very surprised if it does not need calibrating. And, unfortunately, the only way to do that is with an external calibration device — unless someone else is aware of some well kept secret.

Real Name
    Julian

Thanks for the advice, Bruce.

Real Name
    Ted

I wonder if that GIMP manoeuvre can be replicated in any of the commercial editing programs?
    Others here can likely answer that question better than I.

There is a small utility called "ShowImage" which works similarly but without all the other complicated GIMP stuff.

http://www.efg2.com/Lab/Graphics/Colors/ShowImage.htm

However, when I upgraded to Win 7 64-bit, it lost the ability to show a histogram, which is a little inconvenient ...

Real Name
    Dan

I second what Bruce wrote: all bets are off if you don't calibrate your monitor. I have a vague recollection that Norman Koren posted images to allow one to calibrate without a device, but my equally vague recollection is that I couldn't get it to work. I use an i1 Display Pro.

Re separating saturation: I believe there is a Photoshop plugin that will do this, but I haven't yet tried it:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb...t-plugins.html
    Last edited by DanK; 20th February 2019 at 09:22 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

I think that the saturation is fine... However, I brightened the shadowed sections of the old wall and the rock (image right lower) a bit and added a touch of global structure. I think (at least from my roughly calibrated monitor that the image looks fine...
    Overcooked colour?
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 20th February 2019 at 10:07 PM.

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured and processed, doesn't look over saturated to me.