Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lightroom enchance details fails

Real Name
    Dan

Lightroom enchance details fails

I just tried to access the new enhance details feature in Lightroom. It wouldn't load, giving me an error message that Windows 10 needs to be updated to the 10 October 2018 version or later. I have automatic updates turned on, and my system reports that the 10 October cumulative update and four subsequent cumulative updates ahve been installed. Anyone else have this problem, or know a work-around?

PS: Just tried my second computer, and the same thing happened. They are entirely different: a Dell desktop and a Lenovo Carbon X1 laptop.
    Last edited by DanK; 22nd February 2019 at 03:01 PM.

Real Name
    George

Re: Lightroom enchance details fails

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I just tried to access the new enhance details feature in Lightroom. It wouldn't load, giving me an error message that Windows 10 needs to be updated to the 10 October 2018 version or later. I have automatic updates turned on, and my system reports that the 10 October cumulative update and four subsequent cumulative updates ahve been installed. Anyone else have this problem, or know a work-around?

PS: Just tried my second computer, and the same thing happened. They are entirely different: a Dell desktop and a Lenovo Carbon X1 laptop.
    I hope for you you don't have a workgroup home.

George

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    I hope for you you don't have a workgroup home.

George
    I don't. Moreover, the two computers were on different networks. It seems to be a problem with Adobe not recognizing the updates on these computers.

Real Name
    George

I don't. Moreover, the two computers were on different networks. It seems to be a problem with Adobe not recognizing the updates on these computers.
    You can check your version. https://www.howtogeek.com/236195/how...s-10-you-have/

George

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    I did. See post #1.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Strange - I did not encounter any issues. If you want to go through the headache of reporting this to Adobe, perhaps they can clear it up. That being said, my limited testing left me underwhelmed with this new technology. I had to view the image at 200% - 400% to even notice any differences and these were very minor.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

I had a go at using the new feature in PS. I could not tell any difference when viewed at 100%, although perhaps it depends on subject.

Real Name
    Barry

I too have a problem with my Lenovo laptop, a problem that cannot be rectified. It raises the question: are Lenovo's a good buy?

Real Name
    Dave

You have to be on Windows Version 1809. You can check by holding the Windows key and pressing R, then enter winver in the dialogue box. If you are on an earlier version (I'm on 1803), there may still not be any updates shown as available.

Dave

Real Name
    Dan

Barry--This is not a Lenovo issue. As I noted, I have exactly the same issue on my Dell desktop. I consider my Lenovo Carbon to be the best laptop I have owned, and I have owned a bunch.

George and Dave hit the nail on the head. I don't understand this, but even having all of the subsequent updates installed does not update the version of windows. My computers are running 1803, despite being current on updates. It must have something to do with how this enterprise version works. Given Manfred's experience, I am not going to lose any sleep over this, but when I happen to run into one of our techs, I'll ask him.

Real Name
    George

Barry--This is not a Lenovo issue. As I noted, I have exactly the same issue on my Dell desktop. I consider my Lenovo Carbon to be the best laptop I have owned, and I have owned a bunch.

George and Dave hit the nail on the head. I don't understand this, but even having all of the subsequent updates installed does not update the version of windows. My computers are running 1803, despite being current on updates. It must have something to do with how this enterprise version works. Given Manfred's experience, I am not going to lose any sleep over this, but when I happen to run into one of our techs, I'll ask him.
    Like before: check,double check.

George

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Dan - if your enterprise IT group is anything like the one I used to deal with, they will thoroughly test the new release before applying it to the computers under their control. New OS software often breaks legacy software and they want to ensure a stable operating environment for the user base that they are supporting.

Check with your tech support as to when they plan to allow the latest update. Unlike home and small enterprise users, Microsoft allows enterprises considerable leeway on rolling out updates.

Real Name
    Dan

Manfred,

Yes, they are conservative about these things, as they should be, not only because of the risk of breaking legacy software, but also for reasons of security.

In this case, I am happy to wait.

BTW, on an unrelated topic: I volunteered to do some of the instruction in an evening photoshop session one of my clubs is holding this Tuesday, and I decided that one of the three things I will teach is your method of dodging and burning (although with a brush rather than a selection). I appreciate your having posted that months ago.

Dan

Real Name
    Philippe

Dan, I have the exact same problem. My computer is not a brand one, it's definitively not related to the computer, obviously the bug is from Adobe or/and Windows. Did someone solved this issue?

Real Name
    Dave

See my comment above. IIRC, Microsoft started the October roll out of a new version of Windows, and then had to pull the plug. Back in January Microsoft announced they had restarted a phased roll out. I understand that "advanced users" can manually force an update - I think I'll stay well away.

Incidentally, it seems that Lightroom's Enhanced Detail" can cause problems even on updated machines.

Dave

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    See my comment above. IIRC, Microsoft started the October roll out of a new version of Windows, and then had to pull the plug. Back in January Microsoft announced they had restarted a phased roll out. I understand that "advanced users" can manually force an update - I think I'll stay well away.

Incidentally, it seems that Lightroom's Enhanced Detail" can cause problems even on updated machines.

Dave
    When I just used advanced update options to look for updates, Microsoft's website confirmed what Dave wrote but urges users not to force an update:

On November 13, 2018, we re-released the Windows 10 October Update (version 1809), Windows Server 2019, and Windows Server, version 1809. We encourage you to wait until the feature update is offered to your device automatically. A summary of the current status of the October Update can be found below.
    I too am happy to leave well enough alone for now.

I had to manually update to 1809. No biggie. The feature itself took about an hour to create a DNG on my 2-3 year old laptop which does not have a dedicated video card. It is much faster on a properly equipped computer (I hear). As for enhancing detail, it's sort of a wet noodle although some have reported the feature doing a good job on moire.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by rfkiii View Post
    although some have reported the feature doing a good job on moire.
    As I approach 200,000 images with my digital cameras (with and without AA filters) have never had a shot with moire issues, even when trying subjects that are prone to those issues (certain types of clothing, fabrics, roof tiles, shingles and certain fence designs).