Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Spyder 5 Express or Pro

Real Name
    Richard

Spyder 5 Express or Pro

I want a calibrator for my Benq 2700 Monitor and I am seriously considering a Spyder 5 unit. B&H in New York City has the Spyder 5 Express for $129 (USD) with free shipping while the Spyder 4 Pro costs $134 (USD) again with free shipping.

For the minor additional five U.S. Dollar cost, I think that I will get the Spyder 5 Pro.

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Thanks...

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Spyder 5 Express or Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I want a calibrator for my Benq 2700 Monitor and I am seriously considering a Spyder 5 unit. B&H in New York City has the Spyder 5 Express for $129 (USD) with free shipping while the Spyder 4 Pro costs $134 (USD) again with free shipping.

For the minor additional five U.S. Dollar cost, I think that I will get the Spyder 5 Pro.

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Thanks...
    Hi Richard

I'd go for the PRO version for sure. They both probably use the same hardware, just the software is different. Looking at the Datacolor websibe indicates that they may have dropped the Express version and now just have the PRO and the ELITE. Also note that they have a new model out called the SpyderX which comes in PRO and ELITE versions.

My Spyder 5 has served me well but I know nothing about the SpyderX. XRite also have similar products which some claim are more accurate but I don't really know about that.

Dave

Real Name
    John

Richard,

While you may get good advice on this forum, you might want to contact X-Rite directly. I say that because I use another model of theirs for calibration and I recently received an offer on a more expensive, new version (I!Studio25, list price $480). I say contact them because they have been discontinuing some instruments and won't be providing support within the next year or so.

Real Name
    James

Hi Richard, I have used the Spyder5 Elite rather than Pro, and I also have a BenQ 2700 monitor, which is now a couple of years old.

The 'modifications' to the monitor's native profile are relatively minor, but noticeable, (since it is a certificated Adobe RGB1998 panel).

I have another monitor which I also use, which is older and the Spyder5 Elite calibration is significantly different from the 'native' performance.

I opted for the 'Elite' version because, before I got my BenQ monitor I wanted to 'match' colours as closely as possible on both my monitors since I use the secondary in 'portrait mode'. Now, because the secondary can only match aboout 70% of the BenQ RGB profile, colour matching is less relevant.

As regards the Spyder4 system, I believe, from memory, that the colorimeter has an older 'gel based' filter which can degrade
    over time, and that the Spyder5 system uses an improved filter.
    James

Real Name
    James

Richard, I've just seen John's reply, and I would guess that the Spyder4 system will definitely be retired soon since there is a new SpyderX product being rolled out at present.
    I will be attending the Photography Show here in Birmingham in a couple of weeks time, and I will be taking a look at the new product with a view to upgrading.....IF they can can convince me the new model is significantly better than the Spyder5 system.

At present the 'major' benefit of the X system seems to be faster calibration, but since this would only be saving me a bit of time on a full calibration I'm not yet persuaded it may be worth an upgrade.

I am considering switching on ambient light monitoring, something I have not done yet since I mostly work images in the evenings when light levels are low, but with the lengthening daylight hours coming it might be useful?
    However, strictly speaking, I already have the capability using the Spyder5.... so it will be interesting to hear their pitch for System X!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

John - Spyder line is made by DataColor, not x-Rite. Both companies update their product lines over time. My original i1 has not been supported in years.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Richard - I don’t know the DataColor products at all. check the BenQ software requirements as for that model of screen (which I own as well) the data is written directly to the screen LUT rather than having it reside on the computer and has very specific hardware requirements. With the x-Rite line only the i1 hardware works, not the ColorMunki line.

You should also be using the software that came with your screen, not the software that comes with the hardware profiler. You have to connect your screen’s USB port to the computer for it to work properly.