Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wide gamut monitor advice

Real Name
    Dan

Wide gamut monitor advice

I think the time has come to spring for a wide gamut monitor. I'd be interested in any positive or negative experiences people would like to share.

I had been leaning toward one of the 27" Benq monitors, which I know at least two people here use, but I think I have decided against them because of frequent reports of poor quality control. The bottom line seems to be that a majority of users are very happy with them, but the number of people with negative experiences is substantial, and the quality problems are varied. I have also thought about Dell, but I have read mixed things about them--it seems that the models have changed often over time, and while some were very good, others were problematic. I have also read worrisome things about quality issues with LG and Samsung monitors.

That leaves NEC and Eizo, but they are pricey.

If you have any experience to share, please include the model number, as there seems to be a lot of inconsistency across models within brands.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Re: Wide gamut monitor advice

I use Eizo CS2730. Love it. Expensive yes. But the quality is superb, the colours are wonderful.

This is my primary hobby. I will forego other pleasures to indulge myself in this one.

ps I hear only good things about the BenQ though

Real Name
    Dave

Faced with a decision a few months ago, with criteria:
    Wanted Adobe RGB coverage, didn't need 4K, and 24" fits my working area, must function as a general monitor as well as photo editor.

I went for the the EIZO CS2420, since it seemed to incorporate good EIZO technology and was relatively affordable.

I've been entirely happy, but of course different criteria would lead to a different outcome.

Dave

Real Name
    Dan

Peter and Dave,

Thanks. They look similar other than the resolution. What did you calibrate them with? I wonder if my i1 Display Pro will work

Dan

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Peter and Dave,

Thanks. They look similar other than the resolution. What did you calibrate them with? I wonder if my i1 Display Pro will work

Dan
    I use a Spyder.

The Eizo monitor comes with it's own calibration software, you just need a compatible puck.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    I use a Spyder.

The Eizo monitor comes with it's own calibration software, you just need a compatible puck.
    do you know if the x-Rite i1 Display Pro is compatible? I'd just as soon not buy yet another (which would be my third)

Real Name
    David

When I changed my PC 15 months ago I retained my 20 inch HP monitor which is now at least 10 or 11 years old. I have calibrated it now and again with a Spyder 3 and the adjustments do not seem to make much difference. So it is difficult to know what the benefit would be without splashing the cash.

Having said that I have, collecting dust on my desk, a note of the cost of a Eizo CS2420 and optional hood should I feel able to justify the expense. Like Dave in post #3, a 24 inch screen would fit my limited workpsace and be less costly than a larger one.

How long do people expect screens like the Eizo to last, I wonder?

Real Name
    Dan

So it is difficult to know what the benefit would be without splashing the cash
    I don't know about your monitor, but my current main monitor, a moderately priced sRGB Dell, is entirely fine for editing for display online. I don't expect any benefit for that. Indeed, a wide-gamut monitor is a bit of a nuisance if one displays only online, as the wider gamut won't be replicated on most people's screens, so one would need to edit for the narrower gamut. My interest is entirely because I am increasingly focused on printing and have upped my ante in printing; I recently purchased a better printer and have been systematically testing papers. A wider gamut monitor is necessary for softproofing for many papers.

Real Name
    Ted

Indeed, a wide-gamut monitor is a bit of a nuisance if one displays only online, as the wider gamut won't be replicated on most people's screens, so one would need to edit for the narrower gamut.
    Not sure that's always right, Dan, although it can happen, of course. Assuming that your image has an Adobe (1998) embedded profile and assuming that my Color Management System is working, your image will appear correctly on my screen; the only exception being out-of-sRGB-gamut colors (if they existed in your image in the first place).

Real Name
    Dave

I think so. But my Spider Munki (?) Didn't

To clarify, it did work with its original software, but not with ColorNavigator

Peter and Dave,

Dan

Real Name
    Dan

Not sure that's always right, Dan, although it can happen, of course. Assuming that your image has an Adobe (1998) embedded profile and assuming that my Color Management System is working, your image will appear correctly on my screen;
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. what I meant is that if one is editing in Adobe RGB, one doesn't necessarily see how the image will display on an sRGB monitor. for example, if I edit in ProPhoto (well, really Melissa, but close enough), most software will "correctly" display the image on my sRGB monitor, but it does that by doing a translation. If I am viewing in a wider color space, you won't see the same thing, so "correct" isn't really a useful term.

Real Name
    Dan

I just found a luminous landscape review of the Benq 2700. It's very positive. Maybe one approach is to order one and hope that it isn't a bad copy. On the B&H site, the number of bad reviews is small.

One cited jagged text, which is plausible given the nonstandard resolution. As I do a LOT of text editing, this could be an issue for me. Anyone have relevant experience with this?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Dan - I'm one of the BenQ 2700 users who have been very happy. I've had the unit for almost 2 years so can't comment on the most recent reviews.

The one thing I did find is that many of the "whiners" had unrealistic expectations for edge-to-edge performance of any computer screen. I expect that they would have listed similar complaints had they purchased an Eizo, ViewSonic, NEC, etc. When I purchased my unit, it compared favorably (and was usually better) than the high end screens that it was benchmarked against.

As a printer, you will appreciate the wider gamut, especially with your flower images which are one common subject that frequently has colours outside of the sRGB colour space.

I use a dual screen setup with an sRGB screen and an Adobe RGB screen. The differences are noticeable. Make sure you set your video card to 10-bit mode output as well.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

do you know if the x-Rite i1 Display Pro is compatible? I'd just as soon not buy yet another (which would be my third)
    Yes it is. Have a look here https://www.eizoglobal.com/products/.../cn/index.html

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks, all. I think I will probably try the BenQ 2700

Real Name
    Sergio

Dan, last year I too was looking for a wide gamut monitor. I decided on the Benq 2700. I have to say I was severely dissapointed. The edge to edge performance was deplorable. I promptly returned it and purchased the Eizo CS2730. My expectations were high but the Eizo met and surpassed those expectations. The uniformity edge to edge is superb. The color rendition perfect. Calibration with the x-Rite i1 Display Pro is a breeze and takes only a few minutes. The software makes switching between different calibrations as easy as a few mouse clicks. Yes, it was pricey, but I couldn't be happier with the purchase. As some one said "After the price is forgotten the quality remains".

sm

Real Name
    Dan

Sergio,

Thanks. I will have to reconsider.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Bruce

Dan, I purchased an Asus IPS wide gamut monitor several years ago and have been happy with it for both photo work and word processing. I have no idea what the reviews of current models are.

Real Name
    Dan

Bruce,

Thanks. I think the moral of your posting and Sergio’s is that I need to spend more time reading reviews of current models.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Dan

And one more question, for those who have used both: how much of an advantage is a 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor compared with a 24" 1920 x 1200. I have never used larger than 24", and while 27" sounds appealing, I just wonder how much difference it makes in practice. It makes a very big difference in price. In the case of Eizo, for example, the larger size adds 75-82% to the price at B&H.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast