Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Palace Guards

Real Name
    John

The Palace Guards

Taken in Toronto and Copenhagen. There are a few ways of separating a subject from its background such as selecting an appropriate DOF but I wondered whether setting a normal subject against a processed background would work. I've tried a few that I will post from time to time but here is the first couple of images. I would appreciated some feed back on whether the idea works or not.

The Palace Guards

The Palace Guards

Real Name
    John

Re: The Palace Guards

Nice efforts, in the first the woman looks as if she's part of the exhibit.

These don't quite work for me.

With the first image the lighting on the wall around the more distant paintings seems a bit strange; but interior lighting can sometimes produce odd effects.

The second one has a rather muted pastel background but the guards are bright and well saturated. To me, it tends to look as though they are actors in front of a painted theatrical background

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    .................................... To me, it tends to look as though they are actors in front of a painted theatrical background
    Thanks for your comments both.

Geoff, as I said above, that was the intent. Just an experiment to try and produce something different. As to the lighting in the first, I'm pretty sure it's as it was. It's in a gallery and here were a series of spotlights illuminating the artwork.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    ...that was the intent. Just an experiment to try and produce something different.
    Now I understand what you meant by creating seperation; and it changes the way I view the image.

Real Name
    John

Thanks Rufus. "Separation" was perhaps a poor choice of words. I was looking to see if this sort of approach can be used to make the subject stand out more without losing the environment in the way that limiting the DOF can sometimes do. As I say, just an experiment. My own view is that it works for some things but not for others.