Thread: where are they taking me?

Real Name
    Catherine

where are they taking me?

Real Name
    John

Re: where are they taking me?

Interesting image, definitely a story telling image.

Real Name
    Ole

Well spotted.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Catherine

Thanks very much for looking and commenting John and Ole. I guess it is just a snap but she looks so vulnerable and I have been thinking of her and playing with the image a bit more. A tighter crop and black and white seems to bring out her sweet face more.

Real Name
    Ole

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineA View Post
    Thanks very much for looking and commenting John and Ole. I guess it is just a snap but she looks so vulnerable and I have been thinking of her and playing with the image a bit more. A tighter crop and black and white seems to bring out her sweet face more.
    I agree with the cropping. Maybe a bit off the top? How about a 'strong' black and white image and some slight vignette also.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by mugge View Post
    I agree with the cropping. Maybe a bit off the top? How about a 'strong' black and white image and some slight vignette also.
    Cheers Ole
    What do you think? Better?

Real Name
    Dan

Yes, it's better, although I would play with tonality adjustments to bring out some of the details that are almost lost in the shadows of the sculpture.

There is another reason to go with the B&W: the original has a very unnatural color cast--a slightly orange or brownish yellow. In addition, the color cast is uneven, so a simple global adjustment doesn't seem to be sufficient. This can happen when you have different sources of light that have different color temperatures.

Real Name
    Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Yes, it's better, although I would play with tonality adjustments to bring out some of the details that are almost lost in the shadows of the sculpture.
    Thank you Dan. I've been experimenting with tonality adjustments and that has improved the image. I will learn more about processing B&W images - I just hit one of the presets for the above and added a light vignette. I also went back to the art gallery this morning and tried other angles. Maybe one of those shots will work better.

Real Name
    John

Catherine,

Any idea of the artist's theme or interpretation of the piece? When I first saw the sculpture I thought of Mount Vesuvius victim(s).

Real Name
    Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Catherine,

Any idea of the artist's theme or interpretation of the piece? When I first saw the sculpture I thought of Mount Vesuvius victim(s).
    Hi John, No, I don't know that but I would like to. The area is cordoned off to the public while the installation is being changed. I searched for the piece on the gallery's online catalogue but couldn't find it.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineA View Post
    Hi John, No, I don't know that but I would like to. The area is cordoned off to the public while the installation is being changed. I searched for the piece on the gallery's online catalogue but couldn't find it.
    Catherine,

Thanks for responding, hopefully you'll get back to the exhibit and have more images to add to the thread.