Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for photographing Birds in Flight

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Suggestions for photographing Birds in Flight

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    . . . When I use a monopod, I don't use a ball head, I use a swivel head which is not wobbly because it only swivels fore and aft. I always have the lens attached at the tripod ring which balances the unit better.
    Considering previous discussion about Ball Head that's important differentiation. Thank you.

BTW I concur, I do have a Monopod Tilt Head, (Manfrotto terminology) though I only use it for short lenses when the Camera is attached to the Monopod.

My Monopod Tilt Head allows 90 degrees Tilt, so it can be used to move the camera from Portrait to Landscape Orientation quickly. Obviously with a longer and heavier lens, attached to the Monopod by the Lens's Tripod Collar, the Lens simply spins around to allow different shooting Orientations.

WW

Real Name
    Luis Arroyo

Hi, William:
    Yes, the Sony 70-400 g2 lens came with a tripod collar, so I will attach it directly to the monopod as you suggest. I'm going to a nearby marshland tomorrow (Friday) and will take photos handholding the camera. (I don't expect to buy a monopod for a few weeks.)
    Luis

Real Name
    Luis Arroyo

George:
    Thanks for the tips about the ballhead and hand placement.
    Luis

Real Name
    Luis Arroyo

Hi, Russ:
    Thanks for the links. I appreciate the guidance.
    Luis

Real Name
    Luis Arroyo

Acorn:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm sure some where along the line I'll be experienced enough to compare shooting with a monopod versus a tripod.
    Luis

Real Name
    Richard

Luis...

Here's another idea regarding photographing BIF. I did this when my long lens was the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L which did not have image stabilization...

Suggestions for photographing Birds in Flight

Cement one 90 degree curved conduit to a length of straight conduit. This will be be one hand grip. Determine how long you need the straight conduit so that it is comfortable to hold with back of straight piece at shoulder. Attach 45 degree conduit curve to the rear of straight conduit. This will fit over the shoulder.

You will now have one side of your shoulder pod. fabricate the second side.

Use a flat piece of 1/4" aluminum stock anywhere from 4" to 6" wide for camera support. The length of this camera support is determined by your size. Make it comfortable to hold.

Determine where the camera is comfortable to view and secure each end of the camera platform to one of the conduit shoulder pod sides with the hex bolts and cap nuts. I have skewed my camera to the left since I sight with my left eye. Position is determined entirely by your desires.

Attach adhesive backed cork to platform and mark the location of the tripod screw.

Drill a 1/4" hole to mount the lens tripod ring. Determine exactly where it is convenient for you to view the camera. Ensure that the camera body is placed far enough back so that it can be turned to vertical.

Mount the tripod ring using the thumbscrew and secure with the wing nut.

Cover the curved conduit with pipe insulation if you wish.

Secure a remote release to a front handle. I did this with a nylon tie. Although I am right handed; I chose to attach the remote trigger button to the left grip since the release socket is located on the left side of the camera and I did not want the wire to stretch across the platform.

Real Name
    Luis Arroyo

Re: Monopod Suggestions

Richard:
    Thanks for the suggestions. This is the first I'm learning about a monopod tilt swivel and will definitely learn more about using one and a qrs in the near future.
    Luis

Real Name
    Luis Arroyo

Bruce:
    Thanks so much for your generous offer to search the threads about birds in flight photography. I'm sure I'll learn much from the experiences of other members.
    Luis

Real Name
    Luis Arroyo

Hello, Bruce:
    Thanks for the links and your suggestions about how to approach bird photography. I look forward to seeing them.
    Luis

Real Name
    Luis Arroyo

Richard:
    Thanks for the clear directions. I may have an opportunity to build the "mount" this summer.
    Luis

Real Name
    George

Sitting lower also helps when using a monopod because I don't have the pod extended as long. It is sometimes hard to get a shot of a high angle bird or plane when standing with a monopod...
    That's exactly my issue. And a ballhead might solve that partly.

A ballhead can be as cheap as possible and has to make only a vertical movement around the x-ax. The horizontal movement around the y-ax is done by turning the monopod. It doesn't have to be that heavy, on a monopod you always hold the camera, well I would. I did a search https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Head_for.html. I just found out that those simple heads not only exist and are called tilt head.

I know it's not an answer to the question of ts.

George

Real Name
    George

Luis...

Here's another idea regarding photographing BIF. I did this when my long lens was the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L which did not have image stabilization...

Cement one 90 degree curved conduit to a length of straight conduit. This will be be one hand grip. Determine how long you need the straight conduit so that it is comfortable to hold with back of straight piece at shoulder. Attach 45 degree conduit curve to the rear of straight conduit. This will fit over the shoulder.

You will now have one side of your shoulder pod. fabricate the second side.

Use a flat piece of 1/4" aluminum stock anywhere from 4" to 6" wide for camera support. The length of this camera support is determined by your size. Make it comfortable to hold.

Determine where the camera is comfortable to view and secure each end of the camera platform to one of the conduit shoulder pod sides with the hex bolts and cap nuts. I have skewed my camera to the left since I sight with my left eye. Position is determined entirely by your desires.

Attach adhesive backed cork to platform and mark the location of the tripod screw.

Drill a 1/4" hole to mount the lens tripod ring. Determine exactly where it is convenient for you to view the camera. Ensure that the camera body is placed far enough back so that it can be turned to vertical.

Mount the tripod ring using the thumbscrew and secure with the wing nut.

Cover the curved conduit with pipe insulation if you wish.

Secure a remote release to a front handle. I did this with a nylon tie. Although I am right handed; I chose to attach the remote trigger button to the left grip since the release socket is located on the left side of the camera and I did not want the wire to stretch across the platform.
    A good example how to make simple things with simple material. And the first lefthanded camera I've seen

George

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by LuisLB View Post
    George:
    Thanks for the tips about the ballhead and hand placement.
    Luis
    Play with it. It is the cheapest and easiest way.
    Force yourself to carry the weight in the left hand. Mostly you don't. Just experiment with it.

George

Real Name
    Richard

Since I built my shoulder mount mostly with left over items, it basically cost me nothing to build. However, if a person were to purchase the materials from a home improvement center like Home Depot, I would expect that the entire batch would cost less than ten U.S. Dollars. It can easily be disassembled into three parts for travel and weighs a bit over two pounds or one kilogram.

Another way to get the most versatility from a monopod is to keep it short and rest the tip in a fishing rod belt. This belt is designed to support the butt of a fishing rod when fighting a large salt-water fish. It also supports a monopod quite well and can be used for still and video photography. It is light in weight and relatively inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Fvstar-Adjust...Q80E1VV0MXWVMS

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Luis.

I interpret your collective responses as those of a meticulous Student who harnesses a range of general data to address an issue and then plans and assembles a step by step solution that eventually will suit your specific condition.

I am interested as to what was your specific Teaching Discipline?

In any event, I for one am interested in knowing your progress and what paths that you take.

Break a leg.

WW

There are definitely a few techniques you can use when shooting larger telephoto lenses. Where possible a monopod is great and you can pair it with Tilt - monopod head for quick tracking with birds. Might be worthwhile checking out the video from Nicolas Rakotopare who shoots in remote locations with long lenses for wildlife.

https://www.camerapro.com.au/news-an...5-6-is-usm-ii/

Real Name
    Bobo

My take -

Hand-held always!
    A Sony + your lens is NOT heavy. Just use it often and you will be fine.

2 other pieces of "equipment" you will need -
    - a shoulder strap instead of a neck strap. Carrying a couple of pounds around your neck will tire you out quite quickly.
    - a stool will also be useful for lower level shots or when you need to sit down for a while. When seated, the knees form an excellent tripod.
    Last edited by Bobobird; 28th March 2019 at 04:26 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12