Thread: Uyuni Salt Flats - End of Rainy Season

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Uyuni Salt Flats - End of Rainy Season

The rainy season on the salt flats finishes by early autumn (late March) on the Uyuni Salt Flats. This means that some areas are still covered by 3 - 4 cm / 1-1/2 inches of water (brine really) while other areas have started to dry out.

I tried to capture this wet / dry interface in this shot, perhaps not totally successfully. The brilliant blue skies and the clouds can be seen reflected in the brine, but there lots of areas of salt crystals forming that break up the wet areas and add specular highlights. In the foreground, I am standing on a thick crust of white salt crystals.

The altitude here was reasonably "low" when compared to much of the rest of Bolivia, a mere 3680m / 12,100 ft. It makes sense as the area is a depression where the rain water gathers.

At times it looked like we were walking on wet ice but wet salt is not slippery at all.

Uyuni Salt Flats - End of Rainy Season

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Re: Uyuni Salt Flats - End of Rainy Season

I like this one Manfred. blue skies, fluffy clouds, steam ? rising off the flats, and sparkly highlights lead my eye all over the frame.

ps. I see you used the rule of "half and a bit" for the composition

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Uyuni Salt Flats - End of Rainy Season

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    ps. I see you used the rule of "half and a bit" for the composition
    I thought I used the "remove the uninteresting parts of the image and let the horizon line fall where it may" rile...