Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling to Scotland - what do I need to do before we leave?

Real Name
    Kim Abbott

Traveling to Scotland - what do I need to do before we leave?

I'm getting the chance to go to Scotland this year - #1 on my want to go to list for YEARS. Because this is a once in a lifetime trip, I am determined to come home with photos that I can enjoy and be proud of.

Since so many members here are across the pond, I was hoping you might have some suggestions for me of gear I might need (I'm looking at possibly renting a lens or two for the trip), or things to make sure and see, or even what kind of techniques/skills to sharpen before I go? I'm open to any suggestions because I am determined to make sure I have good photos to come home with!!

Here is our itinerary:
    Day 1 - Land in Glasgow, visit Loch Lomand/Fort William
    Day 2 - Glenfinnen and Glencoe
    Day 3 - Isle of Skye (Staying in Portree)
    Day 4 - Skye, visit Quiraing and Kilt Point
    Day 5 - Skye, visit Dunvegan Castle and Neist Point (Especially important day for me - I claim my MacLeod line and Dunvegan Castle is the heart of the MacLeods)
    Day 6 - Leave Skye, visit Eilean Donan Castle, Urquart Castle on Loch Ness, end in Inverness
    Day 7 - Cawdor Castle and Gardens
    Day 8 - Culloden Battlefield, Pitlochry
    Day 9 - Blair Atholl Castle, free time in Pitlochry
    Day 10 - St Andrews, end in Edinburgh
    Day 11 - Edinburgh Castle, Royal Mile, Holyrood Palace
    Day 12 - Free day in Edinburgh
    Day 13 - Leave for home

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Re: Traveling to Scotland - what do I need to do before we leave?

If you are going to be there over summer the most important item for your trip is plenty of midge spray

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

That's not a bad itinirary.

On day 1, you'll go through Glencoe on your way to Fort William (land of my birth):- Loch Lomond and then Glencoe and then Fort William.

That would allow you, on Day 2, to look at Glenfinnan and then carry on to the end of the road at Mallaig, passing the silver sands of Morar and the views to the Small Isles (Eigg, Rhum, Muck amd Canna).

Gear - Are you going to have a tripod with you. If not, I'd suggest renting one.

Otherwise, go for it and have great fun. I may well see you around. Enjoy our country. And, don't forget Peter's advise. You can also use a midge net (https://www.midgie.net/). I use one along with midge spray.

And just to whet the appetite, this is what you see as you come to the end of Rannoch Moor and are about to drop down into Glencoe.

The Pass into Glencoe

Last edited by Donald; 27th March 2019 at 02:11 PM.

Real Name
    Yes

On your free day think about visiting the National Museun of Scotland. Full of treasures and photography allowed.

Real Name
    Dave

And, take a raincoat Have a great trip. Dave

Real Name
    Peter

Kim as Donald has said that’s quite an itinerary, you don’t say how you are travelling whilst in Scotland, self drive or on a guided tour?
    If you’re driving be aware that the roads can be very busy and in places (especially on Skye) can be single track with passing places. Allow plenty of time for your journeys between locations include time for photography stops.
    If you are self driving I would suggest a navigation device, there is a free App that I’ve used (in New Zealand/Australia and the UK) on a phone that is called “Navmii” you download the Country map/s to your device prior to travelling to your country destination.

I’ve added a couple of links below that may give you some ideas for potential places to photograph based on parts of your itinerary.

Remember that you may experience four seasons in one day in Scotland, I would suggest wearing layers of clothing such that you can add/remove layers to suit the conditions. The need for Scottish Airforce (midges) repellent has already been identified, I personally use a product called “Smidge” Link follows the site includes a midge forecast and a list of stockists

https://www.smidgeup.com/

Photography Links follow:-

http://www.f22.org.uk/Articles/LazyP...her07-Skye.htm

http://www.f22.org.uk/Articles/LazyP...W-Scotland.htm

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ST1; 27th March 2019 at 10:21 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

Wish I were going with you! Have a great time...

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

I visited Scotland briefly a few years ago. Stayed the night in Sterling and visited the Wallace memorial and Sterling Castle etc. From my very quick impression I would be exchanging one of your days in Edinburgh for one in Sterling. They are only about an hours drive apart so the travel aspect should not be a problem.

Whatever you do you will no doubt have a great time.

Real Name
    Greg

I have not been to Scotland but I can see one glaring omission from your itinerary : distilleries. Surely a visit to Scotland could not be considered complete without at least one trip to a whiskey distillery.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by IShootPeople View Post
    I'm getting the chance to go to Scotland this year - I was hoping you might have some suggestions for me of gear I might need (I'm looking at possibly renting a lens or two for the trip) . . . or even what kind of techniques/skills to sharpen before I go?
    What gear do you have now? (all of it, please.)

What have you been photographing; please link to some samples; how would you describe your skills now; and what do you think needs improving?

WW

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    What gear do you have now? (all of it, please.)

What have you been photographing; please link to some samples; how would you describe your skills now; and what do you think needs improving?

WW
    Bill don't you know the saying "ignorance is bliss"? If we have all the facts it narrows down the opportunity for us to wander off the subject. It's almost as inhibiting as reading and answering the question properly. Spoil sport.....

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Even more off the subject...

Paul,

My first response (which I certainly thought, but didn't write) was:

Q. "what kind of techniques/skills to sharpen before I go?"
    A. "learn as much as you can about Whisky and learn how to appreciate the subtleties of each one."

Moreover, and further off the topic: I am seriously perplexed as to why Donald didn't mention Whisky.

regards,

Bill

when are you moving to AUS?

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    I have not been to Scotland but I can see one glaring omission from your itinerary : distilleries. Surely a visit to Scotland could not be considered complete without at least one trip to a whiskey distillery.
    With my pedant hat on Kim won't find any "whiskey" distilleries in Scotland but could find a great many "whisky" distilleries.

Day 8 gives an opportunity to visit the smallest in the Scotland :-

https://www.edradour.com/

Plus whilst Kim is on Skye there's this opportunity:-

https://www.malts.com/en-row/distilleries/talisker/

Real Name
    Peter

Even more off the subject...

Moreover, and further off the topic: I am seriously perplexed as to why Donald didn't mention Whisky.

regards,

Bill
    Donald may have been trying to keep the Whisky to himself

Real Name
    Bill

It's dangerous to ask for suggestions on anything, so I'll restrict my comments to just a few, each being based on your proposed itinerary which is good but conventional.

You don't say when you are coming, but be warned if it's July or August, travelling anywhere in Skye will almost certainty be a nightmare which is a pity as it is a landscape photographer's dream. If it's in June, look at a side trip from Skye to South Uist to get the machair at its best.

I'd forget Edinburgh and its tourist traps, but do take Paul's advice and visit Stirling Castle (if a traditional castle is on your must do list). I'd also question spending time in St Andrews (unless you are a golfer) but do take a day to explore the East Neuk of Fife.

I did try to see your work in order to give me a framework for suggestions but the link returned a "Page Not Found" message.

Anyway, enjoy the trip!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

That is true - hic!

" ... travelling anywhere in Skye will almost certainty be a nightmare which is a pity as it is a landscape photographer's dream..."
    Bill is right. Skye has become so popular that they had to put up the 'Island is full' signs.

Real Name
    Bill

Kim

If photography is going to be an important part of your visit to Scotland, I'd recommend this book (if you can find a copy in the US): "Photographing Scotland" by Dougie Cunningham, published by Photovue, 2017 ISBN 978-0-9929051-7-0

Bill

Real Name
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    That's not a bad itinirary.

On day 1, you'll go through Glencoe on your way to Fort William (land of my birth):- Loch Lomond and then Glencoe and then Fort William.

That would allow you, on Day 2, to look at Glenfinnan and then carry on to the end of the road at Mallaig, passing the silver sands of Morar and the views to the Small Isles (Eigg, Rhum, Muck amd Canna).

Gear - Are you going to have a tripod with you. If not, I'd suggest renting one.

Otherwise, go for it and have great fun. I may well see you around. Enjoy our country. And, don't forget Peter's advise. You can also use a midge net (https://www.midgie.net/). I use one along with midge spray.

And just to whet the appetite, this is what you see as you come to the end of Rannoch Moor and are about to drop down into Glencoe.

The Pass into Glencoe

Donald’s piece brings back fond memories for me of a wonderful part of Scotland that I visited circa 60 years ago. I stayed at the Roy Bridge Hotel that I’m pleased to see is once again in business as a hotel and from where I fished on Loch Arkaig with outstanding success. I see you are also to visit St Andrews where there is a superb coastline and small enchanting harbours that are around the edge of the Firth of Forth. Everywhere is photogenic!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I stayed at the Roy Bridge Hotel that I’m pleased to see is once again in business as a hotel ....
    It may well have been owned at that time by Ian MacLean who was a brother of author of Alistair Maclean (The Guns of Navarone, Ice Station Zebra, Where Eagles Dare, etc). It was thought that Alistair based his adventures on Ian's wartime service.

Real Name
    Ian

Absolute advice: slow down.

The pace of life is serene and beautiful and the people even more so if you give them your time. Trying to photograph everything may lead to frustration and missing out on what truly makes Scotland. The wonderous welcome.

Avoid the tourist traps. They will be crowded and I can vouch personally of the number of photographers from all parts of the world who congregate at Edinburgh Castle, you may find you are in a press photographers battle to shoot the biggest celebrities.

Concentrate on your clan connections and spend time with the descendants of your ancestors. Make a true friend and they will be friends for life.

Have a good time, you can hire most kit at places like Wex in Edinburgh and Glasgow. As said, be prepared for all weathers in a day and that roads outside the cities are often narrow, twisting and single track in some cases. Another reason to take your time.

I was married in Edinburgh and still have very strong memories from that time but always make time to go back every year at least once or twice to renew old acquaintances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast