Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traveling to Scotland - what do I need to do before we leave?

Real Name
    Kim Abbott

Re: Traveling to Scotland - what do I need to do before we leave?

Sorry for the delayed response! I must have turned off notifications for replies and just now remembered to visit again.

Yes, sadly it is a guided tour, so I am limited a bit to what we can do outside the itinerary. I wish I had been able to go on a photography tour with National Geographic that was offered at one time, but I'm taking what I can get.

I'm at work at the moment, so I'm not able to dig through my kit and list everything. I'll try to update this evening! I'm loving all your responses so far, though.

Edited to add:

We are going in June. Leave Atlanta on June 8 (my birthday, so it's kind of the best birthday gift I could have ever asked for!)

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Kim - work on honing your skills, especially when it comes to the types of images that you are trying to capture. It would be a real waste if you hit the ground in Scotland and discovered that you are a bit "rusty" and it is going to take you a few days to hone your photographic skills. Start practicing at home and concentrate on the types of subjects and the shooting conditions you are likely to be working under.

Street photography is going to be somewhat the same whether you are shooting at home or downtown Edinburgh. Picturesque highland cattle don't behave all that differently than the run-of-the-mill cattle you will see at local farms. Buildings are buildings so photographing them at home are great practice for castles and ruins in Scotland. Museums and church interiors are similar regardless of what side of the Atlantic you are photographing from. Get out and plan to do some shooting every week between now and when you leave and you will hit the ground ready to get fantastic captures.

Tours are not ideal, but then they are often the best (or even only) way to see places. Getting to the head of the group or being right at the end will help you avoid other people getting into your shots. Wide angle lenses let you step in front of people and eliminate them from getting into your shot. Tours tend to run during times when the lighting is not the best, but if you practice, you will be able to optimize shooting even under those conditions. June is going to give you late sunset (and early sunrise) so if you are staying in a scenic location, you can get some great shots, in great light, just by stepping outside of your accommodation. Don't forget about the Famous Scottish weather and make sure that you and your gear are equipped to shoot when it is overcast and rainy...

Real Name
    Andrew

I'd suggest a Scotish-English translation dictionary. I have a friend from Scotland and sometime I have no idea what the hell he is talking about.
    Last edited by Andrew1; 2nd April 2019 at 04:48 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1 View Post
    I'd suggest a Scotish-English translation dictionary. I have a friend from Scotland and sometime I have no idea what the hell he is talking about.
    I can understand it fine. Maybe I'd have difficulty in understanding you.

Real Name
    Andrew

Being a Scot you have an advantage.

For the time being at least, don't bring up the subject of Scottish Independence or Brexit - you may live longer...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    For the time being at least, don't bring up the subject of Scottish Independence or Brexit - you may live longer...
    Of course you must talk about independence. Only by doing so will we convince the doubters and gain independence much faster. It is coming.

Frankly, if Brexit goes through (heaven help us!) I can see the nationalist movement in Scotland gaining even more momentum since Westminster made a lot of unfulfilled promises.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12