Thread: Hydroelectric Plant

Real Name
    Paul David

Hydroelectric Plant

I found the original hydroelectric plant for the city of Buffalo, Wyoming while out on a hike a few days ago.
    Hydroelectric Plant
    Hydroelectric Plant
    Hydroelectric Plant
    Hydroelectric Plant

Some nice looking trout water.
    Hydroelectric Plant
    Last edited by LePetomane; 1st April 2019 at 02:06 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Hydroelectric Plant

Nice series, I really like that 3rd image.

Real Name
    Zen

While having supper in a restaurant in Buffalo, Wy one evening years ago, the waitress told me a story about how the city got its name. It seems a tourist from Buffalo, NY happened to stop in the un-named Wyoming city during the time when city fathers were having a city naming contest, and on a whim, the tourist put the name of his home town on an entry slip and added it to the jar. That very same slip was drawn from the jar, and when the name Buffalo was shared with the Wyoming town's residents, it was selected and approved! I have no idea if the story is true, but that's what I was told.

Being from Buffalo, and in a business that put me in contact with many local businessmen, I knew the then president of Buffalo China, and had a habit of turning a saucer over in every restaurant I visited- looking for the Buffalo China logo. When I did that in the restaurant in Buffalo, Wy, there it was: the Buffalo China logo. And that started the conversation with the waitress.

I know; this has nothing to do with photography, but it's a story I wanted to share with you. The shots I took that day and evening have long been lost, and all I have left are the images in my memory.

Thanks for sharing your images, Paul, and for jogging my memory.

Zen

I have always wondered that, since there are no actual buffalo in North America but bison, that the names should, to be accurate, changed to Bison NY and WY...

Not to forget Bison Bill...

Real Name
    Kelly

What a treasure of a shooting location. Some real potential for thematic shooting! Very nice, count me envious!

Real Name
    Paul David

Thanks for the comments. We're in north central Wyoming at the foot of the Bighorn Mountains. To the north is coal country. I'd like to get over to the Tetons more but it is very crowded.

Zen, thanks for the explanation of how the city of Buffalo got its name.

Trev, our Antelope aren't really Antelope either. I guess they are properly called Pronghorn.

A few more shots.

Wyoming Skyscraper

Hydroelectric Plant

Ucross Chapel

Hydroelectric Plant

Hi Paul David:

Your images do justice to a very engaging subject. I am intrigued that the metal fittings have not been harvested, and at the same time I am captured by the range of contrasting graffiti. I am feeling the urge to straighten the horizontal alignment of you "Wyoming Skyscraper" it's an OCD thing I developed as an engineer I suspect!

I am a great admirer of Pronghorn - as I understand it they are the fasted endurance runners on the planet: I would love to see them in the wild - they are beautiful animals, as are the bison in their own way actually.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    I have always wondered that, since there are no actual buffalo in North America but bison, that the names should, to be accurate, changed to Bison NY and WY...

Not to forget Bison Bill...
    That's right. The buffalo comes for example from India, where the Indians live.

George

Real Name
    Ole

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post

George
    My brain is hurting

George
    Furthermore, I believe I am correct in saying that the North American aboriginals - i.e. people of the First Nations, were erroneously called Indians because explorers were actually looking for a passage west to Asia, and India in particular, so they assumed that the people they encountered were Indians from that sub-continent.

Real Name
    Paul David

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    Furthermore, I believe I am correct in saying that the North American aboriginals - i.e. people of the First Nations, were erroneously called Indians because explorers were actually looking for a passage west to Asia, and India in particular, so they assumed that the people they encountered were Indians from that sub-continent.
    Trev, you are correct. The silk trade prompted the exploration. Acting on the theory that the earth was a sphere prompted Columbus to set sail for what he thought was India. Magellan later proved it by circumnavigating the earth. The term, "America" refers to the Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci. Fun stuff.

In Canada the indigenous are referred to as First Nation and in the US they are Native Americans.

A funny story about the Pronghorn, a while back I was driving and had one approach my car at an angle. He was moving pretty fast as was I. The animal barely contacted the car, rolled over, got up and ran off. A few years later I encountered two gentlemen in a restaurant who had traveled here to hunt Pronghorn. They engaged me in conversation about their upcoming adventure and asked me if I ever got one. I replied that I did. Expecting a rifle caliber they asked me what I got it with. I replied, "a BMW".
    Last edited by LePetomane; 31st March 2019 at 02:42 PM.

Real Name
    Paul David

A few more shots.

Close-up of the graffiti

Hydroelectric Plant

Another view of the building.

Hydroelectric Plant

Some of the machinery.

Hydroelectric Plant

Hydroelectric Plant

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by LePetomane View Post
    Trev, you are correct. The silk trade prompted the exploration. Acting on the theory that the earth was a sphere prompted Columbus to set sail for what he thought was India. Magellan later proved it by circumnavigating the earth. The term, "America" refers to the Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci. Fun stuff.

In Canada the indigenous are referred to as First Nation and in the US they are Native Americans.

A funny story about the Pronghorn, a while back I was driving and had one approach my car at an angle. He was moving pretty fast as was I. The animal barely contacted the car, rolled over, got up and ran off. A few years later I encountered two gentlemen in a restaurant who had traveled here to hunt Pronghorn. They engaged me in conversation about their upcoming adventure and asked me if I ever got one. I replied that I did. Expecting a rifle caliber they asked me what I got it with. I replied, "a BMW".
    The name America was first used by a German cartographer in honour to Amerigo Vespucci.Not much later it was believed that he was a liar and that name was changed in Terra Incognita.
    Columbus was a merchand from Genua who moved to Lisboa. His journeys where done directly under the responsibility of the Portuguese crown.
    Fun stuff indeed.

There is nothing left from the electric part of that plant?

George

There is nothing left from the electric part of that plant?

George
    Currently, no. If there was I'd be shocked...

Real Name
    George

Are you thinking of all that copper?

George

Real Name
    Paul David

No copper. What you see in photo #2 is all that is left. Copper goes fast.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Fascinating pictures and subject. I have only been once to your state when we did a driving holiday to Yellowstone and the Tetons. We loved Wyoming, so different to England.