Thread: My First Hike in six years

My First Hike in six years

I have been a hiker (in NZ we call them trampers) for several decades, enjoying one of the most diverse and safe countries to enjoy the outdoors. Things changed when my right knee failed but as soon as I got a nice new titanium knee about 11 months ago I began to plot to get back on the trail.

The following link will take you to my blog detailing my hike on one of NZ's Great Walks - explained in the text. One of the things that I engage in my photography is the desire to share my experiences graphically with friends and family, and hopefully an informative and entertaining yarn along the way.

So if you have a while (at 28 pages it's rather long), here is the link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pi19xbbv7k...02019.pdf?dl=0

NOTE: while it may encourage you to sign in or create an account, you can avoid that by selecting the option at the bottom to continue on anyway

(Comments welcome)

By the way it was photographed using the Nikon Df with the Nikkor 28-300 zoom, and the Canon G5x.

I might add that I am going to revisit the Northern Circuit of Mts Tongariro, and Ngaruahoe in about 3 weeks - that's going to be a lot colder and more extreme.
    Last edited by Tronhard; 5th April 2019 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Making a link to my file that works

Real Name
    Ted

Re: My First Hike in six years

Good to see you back in action, Trev.

Link not working for me - it wants me to sign in or create an account.

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Good to see you back in action, Trev.

Link not working for me - it wants me to sign in or create an account.
    Hi Ted:
    I have changed the link in my original post, can you please have another shot and let me know if you can access the file this time?

It's still asking for a sign-in Trevor.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysOnAuto View Post
    It's still asking for a sign-in Trevor.
    Same here; it's changed to a pop-up FWIW ...

I think it's because it's not to a specific email list. I have tried putting in in dropbox and sharing that way. Have another go with this:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pi19xbbv7k...02019.pdf?dl=0

While this too encourages you to sign in or create an account, there is an option down the bottom to continue anyway to view.

If someone can confirm that this works for them (it did for me) I will amend the original post.
    Last edited by Tronhard; 5th April 2019 at 11:57 PM.

Real Name
    Paul David

Trev, thanks for sharing your test drive of your new knee with us. Beautifully done.

Quote Originally Posted by LePetomane View Post
    Trev, thanks for sharing your test drive of your new knee with us. Beautifully done.
    Hi Paul David - it works for you OK? I shall copy the updated link to the original post.
    Last edited by Tronhard; 5th April 2019 at 11:47 PM.

Real Name
    Judith

Hurrah! Nice to see you back out!

Real Name
    John

Nice series, my typical hikes usually involve concrete canyons but at least once a year I try the nature route.

Real Name
    Tony Watts

Trev, That was very interesting. About 15 years ago on our one and only trip to the South Island, we went to Stewart Island, but unfortunately only to Half Moon Bay for one night. It was January and unusually hot, the temperature up to 25 degrees C and the locals were prostrate from the heat. Many stripped off, within the bounds of decency, and lay down in the sun.

I noticed that a couple of the birds are similar to ones we have hear, notably the silvereye and the fantail. The fantail looks very like our rufous fantail. After reading your story, I wish we had had time to explore further.

Hi Tony:

Thanks for taking the effort to read the blog! People take photos for many reasons and this is just one of mine. I like to give a commentary that gives context to the environment that I am tramping through as well as my own experience in doing so. Actually taking the images reminds me to keep looking and seeing as I go and of course stopping to take photos makes me take a break and stop the hike from reducing to a fitness exercise.