Thread: Ball's Falls

Real Name
    Joe

Ball's Falls

Ball's Falls in Jordan Valley, Ontario. This is a merge of 3 bracketed shots at 1/20" to smooth the water, and make the flow look more impressive.

Ball's Falls

Twenty Mile Creek feeding Ball's Falls

Ball's Falls

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Ball's Falls

The camera looks level in the first shot, but I suspect you need to rotate your shot counterclockwise on the second shot as your camera does not look like it was level for that shot.

There are some very interesting shades of blue and purple in the rocks on the first shot. Are they really those colours? The bright patch of water in the lower right corner is adding a bit of a distraction and drawing the viewer's eye to it. I suspect the sunlight was hitting there, but the water was in the shade elsewhere.

Real Name
    John

Nice set.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    The camera looks level in the first shot, but I suspect you need to rotate your shot counterclockwise on the second shot as your camera does not look like it was level for that shot.

There are some very interesting shades of blue and purple in the rocks on the first shot. Are they really those colours? The bright patch of water in the lower right corner is adding a bit of a distraction and drawing the viewer's eye to it. I suspect the sunlight was hitting there, but the water was in the shade elsewhere.
    Thanks Manfred. I did have a lot of difficulty with the level in this shot My camera has a level indicator on it and I think is showed level, but I am not 100% sure as I was leaning under the side rail of the bridge at the time. I could not find anything vertical to judge by, Also the riverbed had a few small plunge pools at odd angles which created problems for me in judging level. I will have another look.
    Yes the colours are real! I did apply some saturation to blue and purple to enhance them.
    Thanks for pointing out the bright spot in the water. If I go back there it will have to be later in the day (or earlier) or overcast.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice set.
    Thanks John.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by joebranko View Post
    I did have a lot of difficulty with the level in this shot.
    I carry a hot-shoe mountable bubble level in my camera bag, rather than using the one built into the camera. I find that helps a lot in those situations.

Ball's Falls

I got mine from eBay from China, so they are just a few dollars.

Real Name
    Dan

I could not find anything vertical to judge b
    yes, these sorts of images are tough to level, but the surface of the water can't be tilted or the water would run to the side.
    It's tilted almost 7 degrees, so straightening requires a substantial crop. Here's a rough cut, maybe a tad overcorrected:

Ball's Falls

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    yes, these sorts of images are tough to level, but the surface of the water can't be tilted or the water would run to the side.
    It's tilted almost 7 degrees, so straightening requires a substantial crop. Here's a rough cut, maybe a tad overcorrected:

Ball's Falls
    Thanks Dan. My problem is deciding which 2 points in the water to use while applying the kevelling tool in Lightroom. If there is an obstruction under the surface, as in the case of this shot, presenting a line on the surface, as in this case, and the obstruction is closer to the camera on one side compared to the other, if that line is used with the level tool then the result could be off kilter. This is where I have difficulty in deciding when it is level. In this case I chose looking at the reflection of a tree on the bank of the river and matching its angle of reflection. Having said all that I feel that your edit looks more correct than my original. If you disagree with my analysis please let me know.

Real Name
    Dan

Joe,

I agree. I have had images of this sort for which a true level looked off, for example, because of a shoreline that is on a diagonal. However, it seems clear to me that your original is way off. Water seeks the lowest level, and it would flow left to right in yours. If there is no obvious line to use for leveling, the best one can do is trial and error. In this case, I just drew a line in photoshop and used that for an arbitrary rotation, and it came out reasonably close. I sometimes modify an initial attempt by making small changes to the numerical value. They have to be small changes; half a degree is quite visible.

Dan

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Joe,

I agree. I have had images of this sort for which a true level looked off, for example, because of a shoreline that is on a diagonal. However, it seems clear to me that your original is way off. Water seeks the lowest level, and it would flow left to right in yours. If there is no obvious line to use for leveling, the best one can do is trial and error. In this case, I just drew a line in photoshop and used that for an arbitrary rotation, and it came out reasonably close. I sometimes modify an initial attempt by making small changes to the numerical value. They have to be small changes; half a degree is quite visible.

Dan
    Thanks again Dan. I accept that it is not level. What I don't see is a guideline to use in these cases when there is not a horizon or a construction with a reliable vertical or horizontal to use.

I have tried a different level based on a small structure (?) barely visible in the background and made the adjustment on that. Here it is:

Ball's Falls
    Last edited by joebranko; 18th April 2019 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Expanding my comment

Real Name
    Joe

The bright patch of water in the lower right corner is adding a bit of a distraction and drawing the viewer's eye to it. I suspect the sunlight was hitting there, but the water was in the shade elsewhere.
    I have another shot of the falls which I am presenting in a 16x9 format so as to crop out the bright spot in the water. Please let me know what you think of it.

Ball's Falls

Real Name
    David

The composition is different but in loosing the bright spot in the bottom right corner of post #1 the image in post #11 also loses the context and the colourful rock strata of the rounded "devil's punch bowl" into which the water falls.

I like the shutter speed used in post #11 as the falling water is less milky yet conveys the water falling; but this is just a personal preference. The exposure looks set for the foreground rather than the subject. Perhaps you could lighten the image in post #11, while masking the existing foreground, without blowing out the highlights in the water?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Joe - this is a completely different image than the first one of the waterfalls and has a somewhat different set of challenges.

The bright foreground overshadows the subject, the falls (I assume these are the main subject) are relatively dark and fade out of the shot. Burning down the highlights and dodging the shadow areas gives the whole image a totally different flavour.

Ball's Falls

I suspect that this image might need a bit of a counter-clockwise rotation too.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Great image

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks Manfred. I see your points.

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks David. I will try that.1

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    The composition is different but in loosing the bright spot in the bottom right corner of post #1 the image in post #11 also loses the context and the colourful rock strata of the rounded "devil's punch bowl" into which the water falls.
    Did not think you knew of the 'Devil's Punch Bowl' located near my house which displays similar strata as Ball's falls.
    Last edited by joebranko; 20th April 2019 at 05:11 PM.

Real Name
    Joe

The bright foreground overshadows the subject, the falls (I assume these are the main subject) are relatively dark and fade out of the shot. Burning down the highlights and dodging the shadow areas gives the whole image a totally different flavour.

Ball's Falls

I suspect that this image might need a bit of a counter-clockwise rotation too.

Is this better?

Ball's Falls

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post

Perhaps you could lighten the image in post #11, while masking the existing foreground, without blowing out the highlights in the water?
    How is this?

Ball's Falls

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by joebranko View Post
    How is this?

Ball's Falls
    I like this version, Joe. The far bank and rock strata now have more detail and the intensity of the foreground has reduced. I am not sure whether you have rotated the image as Manfred suggested, but my perception is that the water is falling as I would expect so it is absolutely fine to my eye.