Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Busy Sunday Afternoon

Real Name
    Richard

Busy Sunday Afternoon

Our group, Maltese Rescue California, has a good reputation for finding homes for Maltese and other small dogs. In fact our reputation is spreading from Coast to Coast. We have helped some local reputable breeders find homes for their retired show dogs and word has spread among the show dog community.

We received a phone call from a top Shih Tsu breeder on the East Coast that due to ill health, she was forced to stop breeding and wanted to find good homes for her present dogs. We told her that we certainly would help her and she arrived in our group president's home in Los Angeles after a three day drive from the East Coast with 13 show quality Shih Tsus needing homes.

We were really organized this time. We learned from the debacle when 20 dogs arrived from Korea. We had rescue folders ready for each dog, and had several of our fosters waiting their to bring dogs to their homes. We also had a Canine Dental Technician on board to clean the dogs teeth and to insert micro chips.

I draped a blue fabric over a patio chair and shot I.D. pictures of each of the 13 dogs. All in all, it was a pretty successful and organized evolution. Judy and I brought five of the dogs home to foster them and to get better photographs. We are taking them to the vet this morning...

Here are a couple of the Shih Tsus

Busy Sunday Afternoon

Busy Sunday Afternoon

We were able to keep track of the dogs because we had I.D. collars ready with the dogs names. I was able to keep track of which dog was in each image by shooting a combination WhiBal Card and name board. That really made things simple...

Busy Sunday Afternoon

I was considering using a pair of flashes but, I am glad that I decided on a single bounced flash because things were so hectic at the house that a second flash would have just been in the way. After-all, thirteen dogs arriving along with about ten people scurrying hither and yon makes a busy situation - especially since the dogs had just arrived from a long road trip and were antsy with energy and needed to go potty,
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 15th April 2019 at 03:36 PM.

Real Name
    Paul David

Re: Busy Sunday Afternoon

Richard, the woman we got our Bouviers from has a similar program for her retired breeding dogs. They all get good homed. She practically does an FBI background check on them and maintains contact. When we were still living in the Twin Cities we ran into a woman with a Bouvier. Our conversation turned to the dog and it turned out that her dog was the mother of our Bouvier Noche', the one who died from a bone cancer.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by LePetomane View Post
    Richard, the woman we got our Bouviers from has a similar program for her retired breeding dogs. They all get good homed. She practically does an FBI background check on them and maintains contact. When we were still living in the Twin Cities we ran into a woman with a Bouvier. Our conversation turned to the dog and it turned out that her dog was the mother of our Bouvier Noche', the one who died from a bone cancer.
    We had an adoptive family tell us (tongue in cheek I hope) that they had adopted two children from China with less checking than we do for our dog adoptions...

Regarding your Bouvier... when you are working with a less common dog breed, you will often find dogs from disparate areas who are related. We were fostering a Goldendoodle and a couple came to us from Northern California. They brought their Goldendoodle to interact with the new dog to see how well they get along (Doodles seem to love all people and all other dogs).

Talking to the couple, we found out that their Doodle was the half sister of our Doodle, Holly. They both came from the same breeder in Texas and both our dogs had the same father...

Real Name
    John

Nice portraits.