Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Santa Fe, NM

Real Name
    Paul David

Santa Fe, NM

My wife and I did a road trip to Santa Fe, Mew Mexico last week. The weather forecast said 80's and sunny. Unfortunately that was the weather forecast for Santa Fe, Arkansas. We were met with cold temps and snow.

These are from the Palace of the Governor. The artists selling their wares are all Native Americans and they are all juried.

Busy time of day.

Santa Fe, NM

The end of day with the last two artists leaving.

Santa Fe, NM

My wife with an artist named Paul. We purchased some of his pottery.

Santa Fe, NM

I liked the look of this window.

Santa Fe, NM

MGB-GT

Santa Fe, NM

Bronze of St. Francis of Assisi, the patron Saint of animals outside of the basilica bearing the same name.

Santa Fe, NM

Statue of Kateri Tekakwitha, the first Native American to be canonized as a saint.

Santa Fe, NM

A mountain lion in bronze.

Santa Fe, NM
    The stairway in the Loretto Chapel.

Santa Fe, NM

A shop across from our hotel that was never open.

Santa Fe, NM
    Last edited by LePetomane; 15th April 2019 at 05:58 PM.

Real Name
    Zen

Re: Santa Fe, NM

Nice images- that remind me of more active days. The last time I was there, there was a Navajo lady way down at the end of that row in image #1 who had a clay oven set up just off the end of the promenade, and was making and selling fresh bread. With our m/h parked on the other side of the square, we bought a pair of loaves, then took them back to the coach and ate them down well buttered. They were, of course, delicious; the bread, the atmosphere, the view- all added to the experience. Wish I could do it again.

Thanks for sharing your images and bringing back memories of my younger days.

Zen

Real Name
    John

Nice series.

Real Name
    Paul David

It was a fun trip. We stayed at the Hotel Santa Fe. Very nice place. There was a wide variety of food in the restaurant from elk tenderloin to grilled salmon to traditional Mexican. I have some dietary restrictions due to some GI issues and they were able to accommodate me.

Real Name
    Richard

Nice series... It brings me back to another time in my life...

I lived in Albuquerque for four years, while I was stationed at the Navy Weapons Evaluation Facility, during the very early 1970's and visited Santa Fe many times. It was and very likely still is a lovely and interesting place to visit. We had a Native American silversmith who was a Naval Reservist attached to the reserve component of the Facility. I visited his home and workshop in a pueblo near Santa Fe and was very impressed with his skill in jewelry making.

I also had some non Native American "hippie" acquaintances who were also makers of silver jewelry. They would sell their products to Native Americans in Santa Fe who would resell the jewelry on the streets of that city.

BTW: IMO probably one of the most picturesque place to visit in Central New Mexico is the Acoma Pueblo located about 60 miles West of Albuquerque near the I-40 Freeway.

https://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/Travel/A...LO-NEW-MEXICO/

Acoma is supposedly the oldest continuously inhabited spot in the USA. The photo restrictions are quite strict, The tribal council charges per camera (not per photographer) brought into Acoma and you are not allowed to shoot any of the inhabitants of the pueblo, except for the tour guide. Speaking of a small world, the tour guide and I both served aboard the aircraft carrier U.S. Constellation at the same time. We didn't know each other because there were over 5,000 men (no females at that time) aboard that ship...

Real Name
    Paul David

Richard, thanks for the info. We plan on visiting again and I will be sure to make it there. It had been a long time since I visited Santa Fe. I last went there for an anesthesiology conference and did not get much of a chance to see the surrounding area. I was surprised at how "dog friendly" the place is. We took Nikki everywhere. The only place that would not let her in was the Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi. Funny that he was the patron saint of animals.

The Loretto Chapel

Santa Fe, NM

St. Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of animals.

Santa Fe, NM