Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Horizontal curve in Photoshop

Real Name
    Ole

Horizontal curve in Photoshop

I have, for the past two weeks, been using this method because it is supposedly not interfering with colours. I cannot tell the difference between using it and the conventional method. I wonder if other members have tried this method. I, for one, cannot see the benefit of using it at all.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Horizontal curve in Photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by mugge View Post
    I have, for the past two weeks, been using this method because it is supposedly not interfering with colours. I cannot tell the difference between using it and the conventional method. I wonder if other members have tried this method. I, for one, cannot see the benefit of using it at all.
    I had to look up the technique. Looks like a pretty convoluted approach to do things.

By not interfering with the colours, I suspect you mean you are not changing the saturation when you make adjustments to the curves. Switch from normal to luminosity blending mode. Far easier and faster than what you are doing.

I just found this video debunking the horizontal curve approach.

Last edited by Manfred M; 18th April 2019 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Added video link.

Real Name
    Ole

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I had to look up the technique. Looks like a pretty convoluted approach to do things.

By not interfering with the colours, I suspect you mean you are not changing the saturation when you make adjustments to the curves. Switch from normal to luminosity blending mode. Far easier and faster than what you are doing.

I just found this video debunking the horizontal curve approach.

Manfred, I have just seen the video and that will do me. Stick with what I have always done, using luminosity blending mode.

Real Name
    Peter

Another way is to use curves,and then Edit>Fade>Luminosity