Thread: Dialogue

Real Name
    Greg

Dialogue

Generally, I don't shoot street art and I don't shoot other people's photos. In this instance though it made sense so I broke both rules.

From the series Streets and Windows: Streets and Windows VIII

DialogueStreets and Windows VIII_84A7690 by Greg, on Flickr

Real Name
    Sharon

Re: Dialogue

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    Generally, I don't shoot street art and I don't shoot other people's photos. In this instance though it made sense so I broke both rules.

From the series Streets and Windows: Streets and Windows VIII

DialogueStreets and Windows VIII_84A7690 by Greg, on Flickr
    Love this. I love street art tho. Maybe I would have intensified the colors, but maybe not.

Real Name
    David

Sorry, I don't understand the finished image. It does not speak to me because there is no apparent relationship between the two halves (mono and colour). The differing brickwork and the obvious translucency of the layers of the composite do not convey anything to me.

I am sorry this is a harsh critique, but I am left just scratching my head, wondering what the image is about.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by lovelife65 View Post
    Love this. I love street art tho. Maybe I would have intensified the colors, but maybe not.
    I find the street art overwhelms the old picture, perhaps deliberately; I upped the contrast but reduced the color, to balance them a bit. Many ways to skin a cat, though:

Dialogue

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Sorry, I don't understand the finished image. It does not speak to me because there is no apparent relationship between the two halves (mono and colour). The differing brickwork and the obvious translucency of the layers of the composite do not convey anything to me.

I am sorry this is a harsh critique, but I am left just scratching my head, wondering what the image is about.
    No need to to apologise for what you don't understand David.
    First thing to note, this is not a composite, there are no layers, this is not produced with photoshop. The title of the image is Streets and Windows, ie this is looking at and through a shop window. The street art is a reflection on the glass surface, hence the transparency and the two different brick patterns.

No relationship? No direct relationship perhaps because the street art is on a wall behind me and the photograph is inside the shop on the opposite side of the street. But seeing the strong reflection on the window and the old photograph on the wall inside the shop, I decided to bring the two together because the man in the photograph and the girl in mural both express an attitude. I have aligned them so that their eyes appear to be looking at each other. ie I have brought them into dialogue.

You might think about the difference between colour and black and white in historical terms: past / present, youth / age, tradition / modern.

Thanks for your feedback, David.

Real Name
    John

Found art can be a stimulating subject, I like to combine it with other man-made structures. Nicely captured.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    I find the street art overwhelms the old picture, perhaps deliberately; I upped the contrast but reduced the color, to balance them a bit. Many ways to skin a cat, though:
    Unfortunately, your balancing act detracts the youth and vibrance from the young woman. Your colour blending may be pleasing to your artistic sense but it suggests a continuity with the past which is not expressed in the mural, and is contrary to the meanings in my image. As you noted, the street art tends to "overwhelm" the photograph and hence my choice to leave the colours as they appear in both the street and the shop is deliberate.

Thank you for your feedback, Ted.

Real Name
    Greg

Thank you Sharon and John.
    Sharon, the colours of the mural are faithful to the original - at least on my calibrated monitor. I wouldn't mess with someone else's artwork in that way. That would be akin to vandalism.

Real Name
    David

...The title of the image is Streets and Windows, ie this is looking at and through a shop window. The street art is a reflection on the glass surface, hence the transparency and the two different brick patterns.
    Even with this information to hand I can detect no clues that we are looking through a shop window or a reflection.

...No relationship? No direct relationship perhaps because the street art is on a wall behind me and the photograph is inside the shop on the opposite side of the street. But seeing the strong reflection on the window and the old photograph on the wall inside the shop, I decided to bring the two together because the man in the photograph and the girl in mural both express an attitude. I have aligned them so that their eyes appear to be looking at each other. ie I have brought them into dialogue.
    I am not sure what attitude they express (either emotionally or in their stance). As they are both have an inactive pose, the dialogue or interaction is difficult to perceive or infer.

...You might think about the difference between colour and black and white in historical terms: past / present, youth / age, tradition / modern.
    Now this much I did get when I viewed the image originally, but I couldn't add any context to that.

I like many of your other images. I was going to say that this one still doesn't do it for me, but perhaps it is my preconceptions that don't allow me to appreciate it.

Real Name
    Greg

Even with this information to hand I can detect no clues that we are looking through a shop window or a reflection.
    I'll take that as a compliment, David.

I am not sure what attitude they express (either emotionally or in their stance). As they are both have an inactive pose, the dialogue or interaction is difficult to perceive or infer.
    Fair enough, that interpretation depends on our ability to read body language and that can vary with our cultural backgrounds and personal experience.

Now this much I did get when I viewed the image originally, but I couldn't add any context to that.

I like many of your other images. I was going to say that this one still doesn't do it for me, but perhaps it is my preconceptions that don't allow me to appreciate it.
    Cheers.