Thread: Canon 7D Mk ii Owners Card Slot Question

Real Name
    Russell

Canon 7D Mk ii Owners Card Slot Question

Hi, Just got the 7D Mk ii to shoot wildlife and would ask when setting up the card slots do you select the Auto Switch Card option for stills photography? Thankyou, Russ.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Canon 7D Mk ii Owners Card Slot Question

I have a different body that has the same features. Both of my cards are 32 GB, and I have never come remotely close to filling one in one shoot and always reformat after uploading, so I actually don't recall whether I have the camera set that way. If you expect to fill a card in one shoot, it makes sense.

Real Name
    Peter

By enabling auto switch cards it potentially saves missing a shot e.g. if you were shooting in a burst mode with a moving subject and you hadn’t realised that the first card was nearly full at the start of the sequence. Having auto switch enabled takes away the risk of the camera stopping shooting the sequence due to the operative card filling up.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk

Depends on how you work, Russell. Yes, I have never come close to filling a card with normal images, which are downloaded daily and then deleted from the card; but video can produce sizeable card space.

So my normal work option is just to use one card. Sometimes manually switching to the second card if shooting video then back to my first card to continue still image work. But you can save a mix of both still and video on the same card without problems. Except when working to edit my images and I have to think carefully about which format is which when clicking on a file which doesn't load properly !

But I'm sure you are cleverer than me when it comes to that sort of thing.

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Depends on how you work, Russell. Yes, I have never come close to filling a card with normal images, which are downloaded daily and then deleted from the card; but video can produce sizeable card space.

So my normal work option is just to use one card. Sometimes manually switching to the second card if shooting video then back to my first card to continue still image work. But you can save a mix of both still and video on the same card without problems. Except when working to edit my images and I have to think carefully about which format is which when clicking on a file which doesn't load properly !

But I'm sure you are cleverer than me when it comes to that sort of thing.
    Hi, Only shoot stills 'RAW' but what I found in the few days I have been out with the camera is when you touch that shutter button it's like a machine gun compaired to my 70D. Thankyou, Russ.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    Hi, Only shoot stills 'RAW' but what I found in the few days I have been out with the camera is when you touch that shutter button it's like a machine gun compaired to my 70D. Thankyou, Russ.
    Have you set the camera to shoot in burst mode rather than single shot mode?

Real Name
    Richard

Page 146 of the user manual...

Go to the wrench setting on the menu. Under Tab 1 select "Record Function" and select "Auto Switch Card" from the drop down menu...

Good luck - the 7Dii is a neat camera that is still holding its own after many years...

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, Thankyou for the replies. I have set my camera AI Servo with High Speed Cont. Richard thankyou I no how to set the option but as never used the two slot option SD & CF cards just wondered how people use it in photography as Geoff says above the chances of filling a card are I assume remote. I have bought both SD & CF cards as was not sure the best option to go for. Thankyou again, Russ.

Real Name
    Colin

All of the above really for me, but one thought I had was to use the main CF card for RAW - my preferred choice - and the second slot for Jpeg. This would give me a quick way of sharing some of the images when away from the workstation where I process the RAW.

I confess that I haven't really used this mode very often

Real Name
    Dan

A follow-up: when I got my 5D III, which has two slots, my thought was to set the camera to write raws to both as a backup when away from home. I have yet to remember to turn that function on, however. I have always used SanDisk CF and SD cards, and I have yet to have a single failure, even using cards that are years old. Of course, someday, I'll forget to turn that function on and a card WILL fail....

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

[QUOTE=russellsnr;734415with High Speed Cont. [/QUOTE]

That definitely explains why you are filling your cards quickly. I do use that mode on occasion, when the shooting situation warrants; for instance sports photography or when I am trying to capture and event that captures an event that is unfolding.

Under normal circumstances, I turn it off and use single image mode because it chews through storage too quickly. Not only that, but I also have to go back and cull a lot of images I don't need.

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    That definitely explains why you are filling your cards quickly. I do use that mode on occasion, when the shooting situation warrants; for instance sports photography or when I am trying to capture and event that captures an event that is unfolding.

Under normal circumstances, I turn it off and use single image mode because it chews through storage too quickly. Not only that, but I also have to go back and cull a lot of images I don't need.
    ' cull a lot of images I don't need' Yes only had the camera a week and far to many images. Russ.

Real Name
    Richard

I have to admit that I have never felt the need to use two cards. However, once one of the two card slots malfunctioned and I was happy to have the second slot available....

Real Name
    Wayne

morning Russell. I use the auto switch in my 7dMK2, using 16gb CF/SD cards and have filled the CF card on several occasions at motorsport and triathlon events, so that function is very handy.
    I have used the record .jpg on the CF and also .jpg on the SD on one occasion, but that is another story.
    also use the auto switch function on my 1DXMk2 at the same kind of events, but have yet to come anywhere close to filling the 64gb CFast card in the thing even after a weekend of shooting. cheers

On all of my dual card cameras I have the camera set to record simultaneously to both cards - I have had a card fail and it cost me dearly in terms of the shots I lost. I use 32 or 64GB cards, but frankly although I shoot JPG and RAW, I don't fill them up as I download the contents to a computer and a backup drive each day, and I don't use high speed continuous unless the subject really warrants it. I find using continuous HS can produce "RAMBO effect", shooting off a whole belt when a single good shot will do and I don't need to go through gazillions of images that are almost identical. But that is just my approach.

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    On all of my dual card cameras I have the camera set to record simultaneously to both cards - I have had a card fail and it cost me dearly in terms of the shots I lost. I use 32 or 64GB cards, but frankly although I shoot JPG and RAW, I don't fill them up as I download the contents to a computer and a backup drive each day, and I don't use high speed continuous unless the subject really warrants it. I find using continuous HS can produce "RAMBO effect", shooting off a whole belt when a single good shot will do and I don't need to go through gazillions of images that are almost identical. But that is just my approach.
    'don't need to go through gazillions of images that are almost identical' Yes after a week I found that I was shooting so many near idenical images, did not realise just what 10 FPS actually achieved but I do now. Russ.