Thread: Thermal Haze

Thermal Haze

Here are two options about how to present this image, which was taken at Orakei Korako, a thermal park area here in New Zealand. One is monochrome, which you can see. The other has the colours which showed around the young lad and his mum. One has more headroom than the other. Which do you like best please? Any suggestions for improvement?

Thermal Haze

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Thermal Haze

Jim - I personally would like a modified version that combines the strongest attributes of both images with a small change.

I prefer the coloured version simply because it is so monochrome in virtually all aspects except for the hint of colour on the child and mother. I like the head space in the pure monochrome version.

I would also like to see the bottom of the image cropped just a tiny bit as the grass along the bottom edge is a bit of a distraction.

Real Name
    John

Presents a good who, what, why...scenario, nicely captured.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

I prefer the b+w one as the tiny bit of colour looks to me more like chromatic aberration (even though it is not).

Agree with Manfred on getting rid of the detail of the grass at the bottom of the picture.

I would also go for the total B&W for the reasons Peter has given.

Real Name
    David

I agree with Peter (and Geoff).

Here is my updated effort - a few extra layers later. Sorry, Manfred, but I have gone with monochrome (a very tight decision!). Instead of cropping from the bottom because of the grass, I have obscured in another way, this because I was worried about losing one of the steps to the right. However, am still very open to critique.

Thermal Haze

Real Name
    David

I like the fact that you have also brought out a little more detail in the foreground family and the grass is now nicely masked. It was a good call to retain the bottom step.

Real Name
    Paul

Like the headroom in number 2, also like the little splash of colour in number 1. The latest edit is very nice, even better without the grass.

Real Name
    Bill

Agree with David and Paul - the original was intersting but this edit is a much better image.

Real Name
    Dan

I agree as well: the third is the best. Well done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
    Sorry, Manfred, but I have gone with monochrome (a very tight decision!).
    This is your image, not mine, so you should process it in the way you find to be most effective.

The main reason I tend to prefer the colour version is that the approach is a bit more unusual (i.e. most people would go to a pure B&W) and the unusual tends to get noticed a bit more. Trying to get the viewer to engage and explore the image is part of what the photographer is trying to accomplish. This is a "natural" partial decolourization technique.

Real Name
    Greg

Sorry, Manfred, but I have gone with monochrome (a very tight decision!).
    What a shame. Something special made ordinary...

Real Name
    Sharon

I love this image. However, I do agree that the color version is the winner. It adds a unique quality over the mono.

Real Name
    Ole

I prefer the mono version. The colours, however slight, are a distraction.
    Cheers Ole

Quote Originally Posted by mugge View Post
    Classic Spaghetti Carbonara from Scratch I prefer the mono version. The colours, however slight, are a distraction.
    Cheers Ole
    same here. mono version is much better IMO
    Last edited by Anybothe1982; 5th June 2020 at 02:44 PM.

Very interesting the two essential different views. Everyone seems to have a clear favourite and all views are of course valid. I have been mulling over Manfred's comment about the colour having that point of difference and that resonates with me. Although it is not a definite analogy, there was a time in the past year when 5/6 of us were gathered in Auckland to critique each others prospective competition images. I had shown a number of similar photos of highland dancing, but none got any of the other people there excited. Then I just happened to mention one which I thought might have been good, but unfortunately the sock of the competitor has fallen down. Immediately I received a couple of the group wanting to see it. I was told that it had that point of difference. So, it later transpired that I received an "Honours" at our club for it. So, now I see things somewhat differently and that is why Manfred's comment resonates.

Thermal Haze

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Very interesting the two essential different views. Everyone seems to have a clear favourite and all views are of course valid. I have been mulling over Manfred's comment about the colour having that point of difference and that resonates with me. Although it is not a definite analogy, there was a time in the past year when 5/6 of us were gathered in Auckland to critique each others prospective competition images. I had shown a number of similar photos of highland dancing, but none got any of the other people there excited. Then I just happened to mention one which I thought might have been good, but unfortunately the sock of the competitor has fallen down. Immediately I received a couple of the group wanting to see it. I was told that it had that point of difference. So, it later transpired that I received an "Honours" at our club for it. So, now I see things somewhat differently and that is why Manfred's comment resonates.

Jim - you have hit right on my perspective on this.

When people look at an image, there are essentially three broad areas that impacts how they view an image.

The first aspect is how well the image has been done from a technical standpoint. Is the shot sharp and if it is not, does that lack of sharpness work. These technical choices made at capture and in the post-processing chain impact how the viewer sees the image. This is often the part of photography we master first.

The second aspect of what we look for is how the various items are arranged in the image. A lot of this deals with composition, but the use of space (including negative space) and distractions / distracting elements in the image. This is something competent photographers work at very hard and is often the difference between a good image and one that does not work as well.

The third part is the emotional impact an image has on the viewer. Subject matter can play a role here. The mood of an image, the impact on the view and how imaginative the photographer was in capturing the subject. Do items 1 and 2 right and this wrong, you will end up with a well taken and composed image that is missing that "something special" that makes the difference between a good image and a great image. It's all about the "Wow!" factor. The B&W approach is the "safe" approach and the one that a lot of people will like and will prefer. Add that little bit of a twists of leaving in a touch of colour is unusual. Just like the fallen sock gives the viewer something that they haven't seen before, something unique and different.

If you want to sell the image to someone, they might prefer the B&W. If you want to do well in a competition with experienced judges, then give them something with a bit of a twist, something they don't see every day and you will likely end up with a higher score.