Daniel

M13 - Hercules Globular Cluster

Equipment:
    Camera: Sony A7iii (DSLM)
    Mount: Orion Sirius EQ-G
    Lens: Sigma 150-600mm at 600mm f6.3
    Filers: IRIX Light Pollution Filter

Capture: 31x2min exposures for a total of 60 minutes of exposure. No guiding.

Processing: DSS and Lightroom. Lightroom I made minor adjustments to shadows and highlights.

The light pollution filter made the image extra blue, I will continue to work on it throughout the next week.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: M13 - Hercules Globular Cluster

You only used a telephoto for this, well done. I've seen this through my telescope less plainly than this. Nice shot(s)

Real Name
    Rudi

Hi Daniel,

A suggestion maybe: try next time also shorter exposures (iso 800; 45-60 sec). You will capture less faint stars, but you will capture more detail in the core without blowing it out.

Did you use darks and flats for calibration ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Danimal View Post
    ….The light pollution filter made the image extra blue, I will continue to work on it throughout the next week.

You can balance the colors after the fact with "Levels". Click on the grey point eye dropper and then click on the background of the image and this will balance the colours.

HTH.

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by bambleweeney View Post
    You only used a telephoto for this, well done. I've seen this through my telescope less plainly than this. Nice shot(s)
    Yes and no!! I only had my DSLM and telephoto lens BUT both were placed on top of the Orion Sirius EQ-G mount. The Orion Sirius EQ-G mount is basically a star tracking tripod head. Its a lot beefier and it can support a 30 pound (13kg) imaging rig.

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    Hi Daniel,
    A suggestion maybe: try next time also shorter exposures (iso 800; 45-60 sec). You will capture less faint stars, but you will capture more detail in the core without blowing it out.
    Yes, I agree I need to shorten my exposure. I am thinking Ill will try 60sec and maybe try to capture 60 images (it will be the same amount of soak time.

Did you use darks and flats for calibration?
    I use dark and bias files for calibration. I haven't figured out how to capture flats nor what they are used for.

You can balance the colors after the fact with "Levels". Click on the grey point eyedropper and then click on the background of the image and this will balance the colors.
    I will have to try that tonight when I get home from work. I have not tried to mess with the "levels" stuff yet.

Real Name
    Daniel

Upon further review of the image I was plesently excited to discover I also captured NGC 6207 a small faint galaxy, I have circled it for easy location.

Real Name
    Rudi

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Danimal View Post
    ….. I haven't figured out how to capture flats nor what they are used for…...
    Proper Flats corrects for uneven field illumination (though NOT light pollution), vignetting, dust bunnies…
    More details at: https://astrobackyard.com/how-to-take-flat-frames/

Real Name
    Daniel

Proper Flats corrects for uneven field illumination (though NOT light pollution), vignetting, dust bunnies…
    More details at: https://astrobackyard.com/how-to-take-flat-frames/
    Prost, my friend.