Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Best illumination of monitor

Real Name
    Dan

Best illumination of monitor

I finally received the Spectraview software for calibrating my wide-gamut NEC monitor. Quite a bit to digest: the manual (that is, the English part) is 67 pp. long.

One thing that surprised me is that the default photo editing calibration target is set for an intensity of 140 candelas/m^2. The default Adobe RGB profile that comes preloaded on the monitor is 160 cd/m^2. Likewise, the preloaded "full monitor gamut" setting is 160 cd/m^2. Oddly, the default sRGB profile was set to 80 cd/m^2, which has a very dark appearance. I would have expected that to be brighter because one would use it to emulate others' displays, not prints.

I've seen a suggestion on this site of an intensity of 100 cd/m^2, which seems dark.

any comments?

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Best illumination of monitor

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I finally received the Spectraview software for calibrating my wide-gamut NEC monitor. Quite a bit to digest: the manual (that is, the English part) is 67 pp. long.

One thing that surprised me is that the default photo editing calibration target is set for an intensity of 140 candelas/m^2. The default Adobe RGB profile that comes preloaded on the monitor is 160 cd/m^2. Likewise, the preloaded "full monitor gamut" setting is 160 cd/m^2. Oddly, the default sRGB profile was set to 80 cd/m^2, which has a very dark appearance. I would have expected that to be brighter because one would use it to emulate others' displays, not prints.

I've seen a suggestion on this site of an intensity of 100 cd/m^2, which seems dark.

any comments?
    For what it's worth, I just measured my NEC P242W as 160 lux = 51 cd/m^2. Not real bright, but the room is low-lit with about 8 lux incident upon the screen, so bright enough for my old eyes.

Brightness adjusted by hand; screen never calibrated.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Best illumination of monitor

your eyes aren't aging like mine. I seem to need progressively more light as I get older--although having cataracts removed undid a bit of that trend.