Thread: Canon 430EXII alternative

Real Name
    Mark

Canon 430EXII alternative

Hi all.

I'm considering buying a flash for nature photography. Plants and flowers, etc.

Knowing nothing about flashes and being a Canon person, I'm inclined towards a 430EX.

Are there any reasonably priced alternatives out there I should consider?

Cheers.

Re: Canon 430EXII alternative

Hi Mark:

The following links are for specs only, obviously you will want to look at Aussie stores as well.

You might want to consider the Metz flashes. They are not cheap but they are excellent gear.
    https://www.metz-mecatech.de/en/ligh...le=722%27A%3D0

On a more economic scale, but I have found mine to work fine is the Yongnuo YN600EX-RTII - a fully compatible for Canon flash unit see: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1311157-REG/yongnuo_yn600ex_rt_ii_speedlite_for.html

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by whited3 View Post
    ...Are there any reasonably priced alternatives out there I should consider?
    Godox's 2.4 GHz gear.

Like the Canon -RT gear, the speedlights have built-in radio transceivers that allow for TTL, HSS, and remote power/zoom control.

Unlike the -RT gear, there are both Lithium-ion and AA choices for each speedlight model. The li-on "V" version uses a rechargeable pack that's roughly equivalent to 3x the capacity of a set of AAs for the "TT" version. The TT685-C (£96) or V860II-C (£161) would be my default recommendation. The upcoming V1-C (£229) if you have cash to spare.

And the lowest-priced option is the £56 TT600 single-pin manual flash. From a Godox transmitter, while you won't have TTL and zoom, you will still have HSS and remote M power control.

Unlike the RT gear (and Yongnuo/Metz/Cactus/Nissin gear), the Godox system includes larger-than-speedlight options, if you eventually want more power. The system scales all the way from mini speedlights up to studio strobe monolights, both battery-powered and AC corded strobes.

Also, the TTL-capable lights in the system can autoswitch between TTL signalling for six supported camera brands: Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, and Olympus/Panasonic, so long as the firmware has been updated on the lights. Godox is also in the midst of adding Pentax TTL support. Transmitters you can use would include the X1T-C, the Xpro-C, and the upcoming X2T-C. Whatever has to go on the flash hotshoe has to match the camera brand, but as off-camera radio slaves, the lights can be used for all six systems.

For example, I have a TT685-C. And I use it off-camera as a TTL/HSS/zoom/remote power radio slave to an XPro-C on my 5DMkII, an XPro-O on my Panasonic GX7, and an XPro-F on my Fuji X100T.

However, Godox is one of the Shenzhen companies in China. They basically don't do warranty repair service or customer support, but you might be able to find a local retailer that will cover that side of things.

See also: http://flashhavoc.com/godox-flash-system-overview/

Real Name
    Richard

I am also a great fan of the Godox line of flash equipment. (Flashpoint is the Adorama brand name for Godox equipment and there are other brand names - all integrate flawlessly ). I will tend to use both the Godox and Flashpoint brand names in this post. The flash line includes flashes from the small 350 size through several sizes of hotshoe type flashes through larger units such as the TTL 360 (which is my favorite larger flash) and the 200, 300, and 400 models.

All of these units work seamlessly with each other in radio controlled mode.

All the hotshoe flashes have transmitters built in as well as receivers. I carry a pair of small 350 flashes in my travel kit. I can either use these flashes on my camera hotshoes (I shoot with 2-Sony APSC cameras) or I can use one on the hotshoe and the other as a slave controlled by the 350 on my camera. In the interest of traveling with minimal equipment, I don't use a separate transmitter but, simply make use of the integrated transmitter in the 350 hotshoe unit. The 350 units are the smallest Godox flashes and the least expensive Godox/Flashpoint TTL flashes available.

As mentioned, you have your choice of hotshoe flashes powered by AA batteries or by rechargeable lithium batteries which provide a faster recharge. The lithium units are more expensive and it depends if you need he faster recharge times.

The TTL360 is my favorite portable large flash. It has a separate battery pack which can power two flashes or, as I use it, power a single flash with a pigtail adapter that draws power from both the ports of the battery pack. This provides faster recycle times. It has TTL and HSS (AFAIK all Godox type flash units have HSS capability but, some have only manual exposure) Many folks like the newer 200 model since it doesn't require a corded battery.

One of my favorite aspects of the Godox/Flashpoint is the radio control aspect. As I said, each hotshoe flash can act as a transmitter or you can use one of two type transmitter/receivers (R2 and R2 Pro) to trigger any number of flashes divided into many groups. The flashes can be used either manually or if they have TTL capabilities you can use them in that mode. As I mentioned earlier, these units are HSS capable. An advantage to the Godox line is that I can use all of the Canon dedicated Godox branded strobes I own with my Sony cameras simply by purchasing a dedicated Sony transmitter. This includes the TTL and HSS mode. I purchased my last Sony R2 Pro transmitter on sale from Adorama for $50 USD with free shipping. But the normal price of the that unit is $70 USD.

A really nice addition to the radio control is that I can establish the power of my TTL360 flash in TTL and then automatically convert it to manual so I can adjust the power of the flash manually. This really improves my work flow because my standard way to shoot outdoor fill flash (especially with models) is to have the camera in manual exposure mode with flash off and establish the exposure for the ambient background light. I usually choose about half to a full stop lower than I would normally select if I were not using flash. Then I turn on my flash triggered remotely in TTL and then convert to manual flash exposure after the initial exposure is obtained. I then adjust the flash manually with the transmitter on my hotshoe I do not adjust the camera exposure. I simply get the desired exposure on the model with the manually controlled flash.

There is a plethora of accessories available for the Godox/Flashpoint line which are all surprisingly inexpensive. If you really need high power flash for distance... The TTL360 with a third party deep reflector, such as the Cheetahstand 38 or 45 will give you one of the most powerful portable flash combinations available.

Some critics (usually ones who have not used Godox) tend to say that the think Godox equipment is not built to the standards of the more expensive flash lines. I cannot disagree with what they think, however, I have had absolutely no problems with any of my Godox gear (I own 5-hotshoe flashes, the larger TTL360, as well as four transmitter receivers - two for Canon and two for Sony). I also own multiple modifiers as well. Perhaps some other folks have had problems with Godox gear but, I have not!

I would however recommend purchasing the Godox equipment from a reputable dealer because the Godox warranty is run through the dealers that sell the items. This is no problem for me, since I purchase most of my Godox gear as Flashpoint branded items through Adorama.

If you select a Canon 430EX model, I strongly advise on getting the 430EXii rather than the older 430EX. The 430EXii has some bells and whistles not available on the 430EX.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 18th May 2019 at 05:12 PM.

Check the height of the flash, Mark.

Some flashes are too close to the lens for close work, unless you are using off the camera mounting.

My old Speedlite finally fell apart after a lot of misuse and the newer 430 height was a lot closer to the lens. So I decided to go for the 600EX II to restore that distance. A bit more expensive and it comes with several options which I am never going to use. But it certainly gets a lot of use from me with no problems and has a very quick flash recycle time. Very easy to adjust flash output etc which I use frequently.

When photographing insects, on every available day during the summer months, I take over 200 photos per day with my flash.

Real Name
    Bruce

Mark, one issue that may or not be relevant for you is weight. I have the 430 as well as two 600 RT's. There is a noticeable difference in weight between the 430 and the 600RT but that may not be an issue for you.

Real Name
    Mark

Thanks for the replies folks. I will go off and have a look at all of these.