Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frustrated with 7 III + 100 GM

Real Name
    António Correia

Re: Frustrated with 7 III + 100 GM

Yes Richard I know that kit already.
    The issue is not where to sit the lenses while changing but how long the camera is opened and exposed to the wind.
    It is this lag that creates the problem as the dust comes in quickly and aderes to the sensor. Switch off the camera before removing the lens !
    I have not yet changed lens using my plastic bag. It takes some time to do so and needs a surface perhaps just the lap... Not very practical, no...
    Perhaps some body else will be able to drop a line on this subject.

You are doing well using two cameras with two lenses. I used to do that with a 20D and a 5D, one with 16-35 and the other with the 24-70. Oh... too heavy.

But now - I blame myself - I fell in the trap and bought heavy equipment. But I take a lot of pleasure to see my gorgeous images, to see how they come out so beautifully done by the combo.
    Today I shot this one thinking on the "Devotion" project
    Just a quick essay at f/1.4 !

Frustrated with 7 III + 100 GM

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The last trip I took, I decided to go with a single body and an all-purpose 28-300mm zoom. I never missed a shot and while the lens is not as sharp as my pro glass, unless you see two large prints (A2 size) side by side and pixel peep, you will never be able to tell which lens I used. Not one single lens change in over a month and not one single shot missed while changing lenses.

For me the tradeoff worked. I got excellent reviews of the prints I made.

Real Name
    António Correia

I even never printing as large as A5 or A3+ I am very demanding in the definition and rendering.

You are also.
    I can see /perceive the difference just in a glance looking in the computer. I can - so does my wife - see the difference between a shot with the zoom above mentioned and the 85.

Options...

Last edited by Antonio Correia; 12th June 2019 at 01:42 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

I am considering renting the 100mm lens. It might just be the ticket for fill flash portraits outdoors because I can't always shoot wide open using an APSC camera and an f/1.4 or even sometimes with an f/1.8 lens because the A6400 and A6500 max out at 1/4.000 second shutter speed. The 1/8,000 of the A7iii would be better.

However, using he 100mm lens with a slower max f/sop and still getting great bokeh might just be the ticket

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    I even never printing as large as A5 or A3+ I am very demanding in the definition and rendering.
    The question I always ask is "will anyone else notice?". If the answer is "no", why are you doing this.

If you are not shooting from a tripod at very high shutter speeds, I would say a sharper lens will be negated by camera movement and image stabilization will only go so far in correcting this. Also, if your images are not sharp enough, what output sharpening do you do?

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    The question I always ask is "will anyone else notice?". If the answer is "no", why are you doing this.

If you are not shooting from a tripod at very high shutter speeds, I would say a sharper lens will be negated by camera movement and image stabilisation will only go so far in correcting this. Also, if your images are not sharp enough, what output sharpening do you do?
    We are diving in other areas... good !
    I am not very worried better, I am not worried about others say... or perhaps just a bit Confusing... even contradictory I know...
    I am more worried when I (me) think I like it and it is the way I wish. At least in that moment. Sometimes the next day when I look to the picture I see things I had not seen before and then, I correct and fine tune to my taste and eye.
    Tripod ? I have but rarely use. Too heavy and bulky !
    Output sharpening ? In jpg for the web I apply what LR says as Standard.
    When I print I do a small sharpen and as I generally like what the printer produces. I am happy then.
    Does this answer your question Manfred ?

Above a picture from today, a few hours ago. This 135 is a beast ! No sharpen applied ! Just Auto in LR and a tad of texture. @ f/1.8 ! I am happy !

Real Name
    António Correia

Richard, go on try and tell us about your experience, please !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12