Thread: a few pics

Real Name
    Mike long

a few pics

I been super busy and have not had much time to post but im still Practicing. Here are some pics i have taken on camping trips. Any advice or suggestions are more than welcome.1.a few pics3.a few pics4.a few pics5a few pics6a few pics7a few pics8a few pics9a few pics10a few pics11a few pics12a few pics13a few pics14a few pics

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: a few pics

A very nice set of images;liked them!!!

My initial thoughts are a bit less road in #1. Also possibly a bit less foreground in the last image. Lose most of that dark foreground in #7 and go to a panoramic size ratio.

I am not a fan of unnaturally slow water.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I personally have no issues with water, soft or otherwise, so long as it works in the image. Your portraiture skills appear to be much stronger than your landscape ones.

A few general thoughts:

1. In landscapes we tend to look for sharpness throughout the image, but especially in the foreground. Soft foregrounds are distracting and do not work in landscapes.

2. The dynamic range in landscape work, especially in backlit situations can easily exceed your camera's dynamic range, especially if you are not shooting at base ISO (and even then sometimes). When I import this image into Adobe Camera Raw, the blue areas show blocked shadow detail and the reds show clipped highlights. Too much of both in this shot.

a few pics

3. You need to spend a lot more time in post production to get a strong landscape than in a studio shot because you do not control the lighting. You need to open up shadow area, dodge and burn as required and adjust sharpness as required. I put a few minutes into this shot to demonstrate what I mean.

a few pics