Thread: I'm looking at you!

Real Name
    Richard

I'm looking at you!

Sasha, my rough coated Jack Russell Terrier from her doggy bed under my computer desk...

I'm looking at you!

A6400, 70-200mm f/4 G OSS lens at 200mm... Exposure f/4 @ 1/80 second ISO 6400

Real Name
    Ole

Re: I'm looking at you!

I don't think she's spoiled.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    António Correia

Excellent image Richard !
    The lens is rather heavy even on the 6#00, isn't it ?

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks Antonio... This shot was an experiment since the light level where the dog was laying is pretty dim. Te experiment was for high ISO, slow shutter speed and Eye-AF. I liked the shot since it seemed to capture Sasha's personality so I kept it... I was happy to see that the OSS works just fine without needing IBIS to back it up...

The lens is heavier than my primes for the A6400 but, I reduced the weight a tiny bit by removing the tripod ring when hand holding. However, the focal range is so versatile that it is well worth the weight. The OSS works great and it is a LOT lighter in weight than the f/2.8 GM version. The camera and lens combination is also lighter than either my Canon 6D2 or 7D2 with the same focal length f/4L IS Canon zoom . Price was also a consideration

Although, I mostly use my 85mm f/1.8 or one of my legacy lenses for portraits outdoors, this lens does make a fair portrait glass. I especially use it in the studio as I tend to use a smaller aperture for a studio portraits because I don't usually need to blow out the background. I shoot just about all of my formal dog portraits using this lens and the Animal Eye-AF of the A6400 (firmware 2.0) works super with the 70-200mm f/4 G OSS. I do love the focus hold button which, on the A6400, I have reprogrammed for AF-On and which I enjoy using more than back button focus. On my A6500, I have the lens focus hold button programmed for Eye-AF. I also have a button programmed on my A6400 to switch between human and animal Eye-AF. I suspect that eventually, Sony will come out with Eye-AF that an distinguish between humans and animals automatically...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 18th June 2019 at 11:45 PM.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

I like the tight cropped format here. Only thing that slightly detracts is the multiple reflections in the eyes.

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    I like the tight cropped format here. Only thing that slightly detracts is the multiple reflections in the eyes.
    This was available light and there was a window to my back. I did not want to mess with changing the catchlights in Photoshop since that could possibly degrade the sharpness,,,

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    This was available light and there was a window to my back. I did not want to mess with changing the catchlights in Photoshop since that could possibly degrade the sharpness,,,
    ...of the selfie of the photographer in the camera right eye!