Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Vivienne Mok

Real Name
    Richard

Vivienne Mok

Although I don't do boudoir photography, I think that there could be a lot to gain from watching this video. Vivienne Mok does a great job with minimal camera equipment and no extra lighting in a tiny room that I would have considered too small for photography.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItTp_22imA4

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Vivienne Mok

Interesting video, but really no surprises for anyone who has done boudoir photography. The space one is shooting in tends to be quite small (bedrooms tend not to have a lot of room once there is furniture in place) and being a location shot, one does not want to drag a lot of lighting gear around.

I've done some boudoir work with experienced models and was definitely able to determine that it is not a genre I am comfortable working in. The most important part of portraiture (and boudoir is a sub-genre of portraiture) is the ability to connect with the subject and develop a rhythm with the subject. Doing this in a small setting with a woman in lingerie is going to be challenging for most male photographers, which is one reason that women photographers are really strong in this genre. Being a trained makeup artist (MUA) like Vivienne also helps as this is another area where it is challenging for a male to work in (some of the top MUAs are men, by the way, but it is a field that is definitely dominated by women).

The video give a good overview of the challenges and opportunities of this genre. I have nothing but the highest regard for photographers that work in this genre. It is hard to do well, especially with inexperienced subjects.

Vivienne Mok

Real Name
    John

Her lens choices were surprising until the boudoir setting was revealed, I've often found myself with my back against the wall even shooting architecture. I see boudoir as just a setting away from cosplay, very rarely would cosplay be photographed in an intimate setting, however the models, the mood, and the fantasy are often intertwined. I've shot boudoir in a workshop setting and would like to pursue it more, the only hesitation I might have would be in wardrobe suggestions, regarding the discomfort, I would alleviate that for both of us by having an assistant present. Nice link.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Her lens choices were surprising
    I always find it a bit strange when I see people shooting prime lenses in settings like these; they are definitely quite restrictive. I remember shooting at a wedding where the photographer was juggling 6 primes (I had my standard two zooms along). I asked her why and her answer was she didn't like the weight of the zooms.

The subject here is definitely an experienced model, so this is not the way representative of how a "normal" boudoir shoot would go. This lady knows how to hit every pose. It's not surprising that we are seeing an experienced model as we also have a videographer in the room, so the whole room is packed tight with people and camera gear.

I have not met any digital photographers who uses filters the way she does. All the ones I have worked with do softening in PP. Her shutter speed is surprisingly high for short lenses on a full frame camera, especially with a camera body that has IBIS.

Real Name
    Richard

She uses "filters" that she has fabricated from mesh. I do like the effect. IMO it can be an effect that would be difficult to achieve in PP.

Since I seldom throw anything photographic away and will not sell things for a penny on a dollar, I still have a number of diffusion filters of several different types, sizes and strengths left over from my film days...

One thing that I noticed is that several of the female photographers whom I know and those of whom I watched videos, have no hesitation in physically touching their models which (IMO) is really taboo for a male photographer with a female subject. I would venture to guess also, that a non professional subject might be more comfortable posing for another female than for a male...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    One thing that I noticed is that several of the female photographers whom I know and those of whom I watched videos, have no hesitation in physically touching their models which (IMO) is really taboo for a male photographer with a female subject. I would venture to guess also, that a non professional subject might be more comfortable posing for another female than for a male...
    I wonder if we are seeing cultural differences here. In any shoot with models, both male and female, no photographer steps into the "house", i.e. the shooting area without asking the model for permission and no photographer touches a model without explicitly getting his or her permission. It does not matter if they are in full costume, boudoir or nudes; it just doesn't happen.

When it comes to material I consider photographic "junk", I have no issues throwing it out or giving it away. I have accumulated far too many useless things over the years to want to hold onto them.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I always find it a bit strange when I see people shooting prime lenses in settings like these; they are definitely quite restrictive. I remember shooting at a wedding where the photographer was juggling 6 primes (I had my standard two zooms along). I asked her why and her answer was she didn't like the weight of the zooms.

The subject here is definitely an experienced model, so this is not the way representative of how a "normal" boudoir shoot would go. This lady knows how to hit every pose. It's not surprising that we are seeing an experienced model as we also have a videographer in the room, so the whole room is packed tight with people and camera gear.

I have not met any digital photographers who uses filters the way she does. All the ones I have worked with do softening in PP. Her shutter speed is surprisingly high for short lenses on a full frame camera, especially with a camera body that has IBIS.
    I have an 85mm prime that I love to shoot with but at my last shoot I only used it a few times, I shot more with the 24-70mm and it is a heavy lens but it gets you the best of both worlds, full body shots and nice closeups portraits. Shooting with a set of primes would require too much juggling, I did see a kick starter device that allowed the photographer to attach four lens to a hip holster device, but even that setup would be quite a bit of weight and just as unwieldy especially in a tight space.

https://petapixel.com/2017/04/22/tri...der-wear-belt/