Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tilly and Penny re-done

Real Name
    Julian

Tilly and Penny re-done

I've tried to get Tilly's coat less bleached looking, as per Manfred's comment in my previous post. If I got the chance to try this shot again I would try to focus better. Tilly's face looks sharp, but Penny's isn't too good- maybe hound-motion blur? (In a series of shots she was looking all over the place whilst Tilly looked at me). I think I should have used my Speedlite too, but don't tend to take it on holiday.

Tilly and Penny re-done

Julian

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Tilly and Penny re-done

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
    If I got the chance to try this shot again I would try to focus better. Tilly's face looks sharp, but Penny's isn't too good- maybe hound-motion blur?
    The colour of the coat is more along what I would have expected, so good correction there.

It looks more like a depth of field issue. The grass and gravel are a bit soft too where Penny is sitting and they aren't moving .

Real Name
    Richard

I like to use fill flash when shooting animals, although I often have the fill dialed way down. One of the advantages of a fill flash for animals is that it provides catch lights in the dog's eyes - even at a very low power.

As far as traveling with a flash, my favorite Canon travel flash is the 270EX ii while I use the Godox TTL 350S for my Sony APSC cameras. I always have at least one flash with me as I am traveling. Good for other venues besides dogs also...

Each of these units are small (the 270EX ii is the smaller of the two) and very light weight and both of them can be bounced to avoid the BLUE EYE effect when the light hits the dog's retina and is bounced back into the lens...

Real Name
    Julian

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    The colour of the coat is more along what I would have expected, so good correction there.

It looks more like a depth of field issue. The grass and gravel are a bit soft too where Penny is sitting and they aren't moving .
    Thank you Manfred. It was taken with a Canon crop camera at f 6.3 @ 68mm from quite close (maybe 2 meters), so I can see when I just checked that I'd got a very limited dof.

Julian