Thread: Fishihg

Real Name
    Joe

Fishihg

Some images from LaSalle Park in Hamilton Harbour Bay. Both taken early evening. The difference due mainly to processing

Fishihg

Fishihg

Real Name
    John

Re: Fishihg

Nice efforts, not sure if the humans are important to your view but both could use a bit of fill light otherwise they appear more as blotches rather than as an interesting element.

Real Name
    Joe

Re: Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice efforts, not sure if the humans are important to your view but both could use a bit of fill light otherwise they appear more as blotches rather than as an interesting element.
    They were intended to have been an interesting element. I tried to lighten them up by dodging but obviously not enough. I also wondered if I should have done an HDR ?

For me, Joe, that foliage in the top right corner of the first image has to go. Maybe crop to a panoramic ratio? I know that will mean losing the top of some masts but I think it will concentrate on the figure which would then become the main subject; so the mast loss wouldn't really matter ?

The second image works fine. You have a mast very close to the left edge; but what else could have been done? Ideally, give yourself a fraction more 'wriggle room' when shooting? You don't want to lose anything from the right side which looks good as it is. Cropping tighter on the left side will probably create more problems than it solves so I think I would leave this scene as it is now, unless you have already cropped from the left and have something which could be replaced.

I know from personal experience, just how difficult it can be to frame crowded boat scenes. Even when I take great care over my compositions I often find that I have overlooked something when I see the result on my computer screen.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

If the fisherman is an important part of what you are trying to show, then you are going to have to dodge him a lot to bring him out of the shadows so that he plays a larger part in your composition.

Fishihg

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    If the fisherman is an important part of what you are trying to show, then you are going to have to dodge him a lot to bring him out of the shadows so that he plays a larger part in your composition.

Fishihg
    Fishihg

Fishihg

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I love the images for that overall blue which is my most favorite color.I liked the first image more; regarding the hanging branches, i liked it because it suggests the origin of those shadows and helps one feel the comfort of anotherwise sunny place...

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    For me, Joe, that foliage in the top right corner of the first image has to go. Maybe crop to a panoramic ratio? I know that will mean losing the top of some masts but I think it will concentrate on the figure which would then become the main subject; so the mast loss wouldn't really matter ?
    Thanks Geoff . I looked at it again and could not bear to loose the tops of the masts by cropping the tops to get rid of the foliage. I tried lightening and darkening and reducing the saturation to see if I could reduce the visual distraction but all the adjustments did not improve the image in my opinion. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions as always.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    I love the images for that overall blue which is my most favorite color.I liked the first image more; regarding the hanging branches, i liked it because it suggests the origin of those shadows and helps one feel the comfort of anotherwise sunny place...
    Thanks Nandakumar. I grew up on the tropics, so sitting in the shade of a tree has a strong connection to my psyche.

Real Name
    John

Re: Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by joebranko View Post
    They were intended to have been an interesting element. I tried to lighten them up by dodging but obviously not enough. I also wondered if I should have done an HDR ?
    Hi Joe,

You can get an HDR effect by bumping up the shadows, pulling down the highlights, hitting your b & w points and adding a bit of clarity/contrast.