Thread: Oversight

Real Name
    John

Oversight

Oversight

1/200s, ISO 100, f/11

Image taken in area near downtown Buffalo, NY which is called "Buffalo Marina", it is positioned between two other riverfront areas formerly called LaSalle Park (which for decades was called the WaterFront) and Canalside (which is currently relabeled as Buffalo WaterFront). The area in the foreground is a very tiny beach area which for years people could at least dip their toes in the water, for the last few years the city has been allowing it to be filled in with debris from upriver and the beach is fenced off, with sign warning visitors to not enter the water.

I at first thought it was just city mismanagement but then began to read about "electric shock drowning", it seems swimmers can experience a shock when they swim near marinas, now the boats in this marina are actually on the far side of the land mass shown, closer to the tower in the background; so swimmers probably wouldn't be affected in the waters where the geese are swimming, but further upstream are a few water pumping and power stations so the danger could still be within the waters near the shore.

Real Name
    John

Re: Oversight

A nice shot with an interesting narrative. Presumably the geese are sufficiently insulated electrically?

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    A nice shot with an interesting narrative. Presumably the geese are sufficiently insulated electrically?
    Hi John,

Thanks for commenting, yes I wondered how or if animals would be affected by the water conditions, when I read more about the occurrences one report stated that swimmers can sometimes feel the electric current within the water before it fully overtakes them and should get out of the water immediately; so perhaps most animals have developed an instinct for changes within the water.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I liked the image; i wonder from where the electric current leaks into the water? why it is not dealt with? no fence, no board of warning?

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    I liked the image; i wonder from where the electric current leaks into the water? why it is not dealt with? no fence, no board of warning?
    Hi Nandakumar,

The current comes from electrical connections at marinas for boaters, at the fenced off area to this small beach there are signs only stating "no water entry", in most large cities there are electrical currents running underneath most city streets and the current is enough to give a small electrical shock. For humans we are insulated with our shoes, for pets not so much, yet you rarely see any signs warning against the possibility of electic shock. Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    les norman

Very nice picture and a very interesting story thanks for sharing

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by lesno1 View Post
    Very nice picture and a very interesting story thanks for sharing
    Hi Les,

Thanks for commenting.