Thread: Soloman Grundy

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Soloman Grundy

Apparently this comic book character first appeared in 1944 (some definitely before my time) and was named after the 19th Century nursery rhyme character of the same name.

I spoke to the costume designer yesterday who told me that the mask was destroyed when it was taken off the person wearing it after the shoot, so the images I shot were the only ones I will be able to get of this character. The manacles are real (the plastic ones kept breaking) and the chains are real (and heavy) too.

The only flaw was that the costume maker ran out of makeup to be used around the eyes, so to get that part of the costume working properly, Photoshop's clone tool had to come to the rescue.

Soloman Grundy

Soloman Grundy

Thornhill, a suburb of Toronto, Ontario Canada
    Real Name
    Robert

Re: Soloman Grundy

Manfred,
    Of the two photos I prefer the first because the details of the facial features are more distinct. However, the window is distracting and in my opinion should be toned down. In the second shot, because of the wider angle of view, Mr. Grundy's facial features are difficult to discern, and more important, the inclusion of more of the background clutter with it's many specular highlights fights with the viewers attention for the main subject. At the very least, some vertical cropping on both left and right sides along with an horizontal crop just below the belt buckle would eliminate some of the distracting background clutter, and zoom in on the main subject enhancing his details.
    As an aside, Mr. Grundy might also do well to brush his teeth more often, and perhaps consider regular dental checkups.
    Robert

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Thanks for the comments Robert. As always, I look forward to the comments and think about what people have written as my images evolve. I generally post here after my first complete edit of the images and I tend to come back to them over at least a few days until I can identify what is working for me and what is not. I look at the first two as about 80% complete. Here are my latest edits and you helped identify a few things that were bugging me.

My biggest change was the teeth. I found that they were a significant detraction, but was a bit hesitant to make a major change to what the costume maker intended, but in the end, I really downplayed his work in that part of the mask.

Here is the next evolution of these i

Soloman Grundy

Soloman Grundy

I suspect there will be a few more tweaks before I'm done and ready to print.

Real Name
    David

All the Cosplay images have been really impressive and interesting see.

In your latest number 1, a small area at the edge of the mask appears to be visible at Mr Grundy's throat.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    All the Cosplay images have been really impressive and interesting see.

In your latest number 1, a small area at the edge of the mask appears to be visible at Mr Grundy's throat.
    Actually it is part of the mask. You can see the skin tone of his hand right close to it.

Soloman Grundy